General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

MICHIGAN need riding friend/buddy over 50

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Might have an offer to tag along with a couple I met thru one of the clubs, with invitation to camp in & ride from Clear lk campground. They also ride 4x4's, and ride pretty often together. Not sure if they can do all 3 days but will try after getting back late from Chicago tomorrow. I was hoping to do Baldwin trip, but just seems like there's always something, pulling me back to ol St Helen. Like children of the corn kind of dilemma lol Might pay extra for electric site with some very cool nights, but 70's during day! I have a tiny 6x6x6 sm size heater, that really puts out the heat of some of the larger units, 1500W

Old 10-08-2019, 04:21 AM
Pro Rider

Quicksand....mud lol

Old 10-08-2019, 07:56 AM
Pro Rider

Still not sure with my camp/trail riding destination this week, with little interest so far finding anyone with time off during the week yet rain predicted for next 2 weekends, not looking good then! but still leaving out early in morning tomorrow, or else it might be the last good chance to do a comfortable few days out! Hate miserable cloudy dreary dank days lol Just called North Country Store and Campground in Baldwin, w/electric, showers store $25, great price saving on having to haul my furnace n hooking it up! Rustic $15. This is where I camped w/Chris this spring right on main highway near Atv dealership, and just a few miles into Baldwin. Great restaurants close to trails! Better join me, take off work if you have too just get there no matter what it takes, or you'll regret it/hate yourself if this it the end of descent days to ride, for 8-9 mo's LOOOOOONG! You going?? Not you Ken....good luck tomorrow w/ wife's surgery, meet you hopefully, still this mo. further on down the trail lol

Old 10-11-2019, 06:32 AM
Pro Rider

Got back from Baldwin last night, rode for 2 days from the same campground I stayed at last spring, with Chris & Ed at the Country Store n campground, electric site, only $25 since I just stayed 1 night, would have stayed a 3rd day, but its pouring down rain right now at 5:30am expecting rain all day, and in 30's brrrr! Hated leaving there in bright sun, with temp in 70's, but I covered both southern half of Little Masnistee & all of Tin Cup, leaving the northern half of Manistee, Lincoln Hills, & Little O for another trip, ran out of decent weather. Didn't look forward to riding alone, big baby lol but once I got on trail it just seemed so right and the feeling of being alone totally went away and I extremely enjoyed the entire trip, and looking forward to doing it again alone if others are unable to catch a good weather trip in the future. Chris advises to stay at Big Bear campground when doing the northern trails. Talked to the trail groomer, while I was pumping gas in Caryville, when he complimented me on how new n clean my quad looked, and I complimented him on how great the trails were, and they were perfect!! He said I could find a quick way to Tin Cup trail by going thru the city of Luther, just a few min. from the gas station there, and mentioned how good the sandwiches were at the tavern there, while passing thru, with this great old town atmosphere, which it really was, didn't stop for lunch but intend to on next trip while out riding with others! That was a good tip, got me over to Tin cup in no time, vs having to drive way out of the way down Kings highway doing the 25 mpr speed limit, BORING, not fun, rather be on trails instead! Glad to be back with time to unload van and clean n put away everything before rain rolls in this afternoon. GREAT TRIP INDEED!! This trip marks the 9th trip this year....SO FAR!! Not over till the fat lady of brutal winter sings lol Might get a couple more in yet!! Fingers X'ed, still plenty of fall color left for a couple of weeks yet up north, to enjoy....weather permitting!

Old 10-11-2019, 07:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should work for the tourism dept. Good write-up.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, Great trip indeed!

Old 10-11-2019, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

Cargo box arrived just in time, for the trip to Baldwin, big enough for extra jacket, waters, tools, snacks etc. and color matched real well, too. While I was gone the Rotopax Fuel Pack Mount arrived, and it should mount well, attached to front rack. Ready for fall color trip, much better equipped than last year, with windshield, heated hand, and throttle grips, snowmobile helmet, and with some great heat blowing up from engine!
Had an issue with this quad, so I called a friend while out on trails, that is very familiar with these larger Polaris machines, and owns 850 SP, he advised to ride in deep sand in 4x4 mode, after I told him the trouble with my vehicle feeling unstable in deep sand, with it sliding uncontrollably, feeling like a bowl of jello, on 4 wheels, wobbling, feeling real loose like the body wasn't attached to frame! freaking me out, worried with its out of control motion could possible wobble me into an object, like a tree, rock, stumps! After switching into 4x4 mode, fixed it right up, like a Jet ski on steroids, it pulled the machine right up and out of the soft sand and took the wobble right out, with unbelievable power, the power I was expecting from my very first ride after buying it, almost afraid to hit the throttle, not knowing what to expect, power wise, but was never there, not until now, by keeping it in 4 wheel drive, that is! He said I can keep it in that drive with no extra wear on belt, or on differentials, which was something I was very concerned with! If this is the case why isn't this recommended in the Polaris manual, would have possibly saved my life, the way it was moving way out of control, and BIG loss of power!! Shouldn't it say its safe to drive it at any speed in 4x4 mode, especially in deep sand, which is pretty much all there is in this state, fun now safely cursing down any type trail, and when tackling a hill, wants to eat it up with ''no hesitation''! Great machine, now that I hopefully found out and understanding its intended design. I figured that 4x4 was to only be used in lower speeds to get out of thick mud, or climbing hills, but to switch back to 2x4 as soon as your out of a tight spot, Any thoughts on leaving the machine in 4x4 while on trails, and 2x4 on road, highway use? Sorry I'm new to 4x4's. Been on Sport quads way too long lol

Old 10-11-2019, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I see inspector gadget is at it again. I always keep my machine in 4wd in loose sand, tried to explain that last time we rode. Having both rear wheels driving at the same time can make steering sloppy in loose sand. Using 4wd full time should not be an issue at any speed, however diff lock (yours doesnt have) should not be used full time! The cargo box looks better than the other storage boxes you had.
By the time you get all your heated accessories hooked up and plugged in to stay warm, are you gonna need to mount a generator on the front rack?

Old 10-11-2019, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

Yes!!

Old 10-11-2019, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

Bu the way hows the wife doing since surgery, feeling less pain yet, or too soon to tell after body still trying to heal?

Quick Reply: MICHIGAN need riding friend/buddy over 50