General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Trail Mapping

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trail Mapping

Does anyone know of any apps that can trail map?
I have an iPhone 10 and would like to map my trail so I don't get lost. I see that the advanced trail tech computers can do it so I figured there has got to be an app for that. Does anyone know of anything for either iPhone or Android?

Bonus points if you don't need phone service to track the route since coverage is really spotty by where I am at.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trail mapping apps (ie) don't require cell coverage to work, they use GPS which is independent of phone connectivity.
I use US TOPO MAPS on my Android. Their is a free and a pro version. I use the pro version, I believe it was only like $5 or something like that.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:18 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Phone apps work ok i dont trust them... I have compared my gps track to a buddy's phone app the phone app was aprox 10km off and had us actually on a totally different part of the trail. Where we ride is dense and really spotty coverage even with my gps i sometimes have issues getting it to connect to multiple sat's. My personal preference is gps you can pick up good deals used or onsale for a entry level thats what mine is and works great

Old 06-07-2019, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

Phone apps are exactly the same.thing as a dedicated gps. Neither use cell towers so its all about locating satelites. If your in a location that your dedicated gps has issues locking onto 3 satelites then a phone app will suffer as well. Its all about convenience and cost. In my srea a $5 phone app is more cost effective than spending a few hundred on a garmin.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:01 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I think with a dedicated gps you have more power/antenna to connect to sat compared to a phone so reliability will be better. I payed $100 for my garmin on sale and see them all the time online for less than that for better units... Everyone has their preference with our riding we are quite often exploring and braking trail some ware in the mountains so making sure i can get a sat or 2 is key. Quite easy to get turned around and a few times we have not been able to see our trail in.. Only time mine leaves the machine is when i need to DL the tracks...

Old 06-07-2019, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

Yup...👍its all about what works best for you!

Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex G.
Trail mapping apps (ie) don't require cell coverage to work, they use GPS which is independent of phone connectivity.
I use US TOPO MAPS on my Android. Their is a free and a pro version. I use the pro version, I believe it was only like $5 or something like that.
Thanks, I am going to get TOPO MAPS and try it out in my area where I am at. I found another one called ViewRanger as well that I am going to try out.