General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Suzuki LT230E Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 12:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki LT230E Electrical Issues

Hey, gang. I just picked up a 1992 Suzuki LT230E that was all in parts. I put the case together and got the engine mounted, and now I'm working on the part we all know and love so fondly, electrical work. All the stuff up front was all connected and seemingly in proper working condition. The guy had it kept in a storage unit so it's in really good shape, however, when I got everything connected, the only thing that worked was the headlight. I tried to bypass the neutral switch to see if that would bring the rest of the stuff to life, by grounding the wire, but no dice. To make matters worse, when I flipped the switch to "lights" the last time, I thought I heard some very subtle "pop", and now my headlight doesn't work either(Not the fuse/this model doesn't have a fuse). I checked the ground to the headlight to make sure it was connected, which it was, and I also hooked the socket wiring directly to the battery, and the light still functions properly. I checked the key switch, but it seems to be in good condition too. I am curious as to how I should proceed next. I read that it could possibly be the lighting coil under the stator cover, but I would like to try everything else first, so I don't have to drain the oil, and take off the pull start cover, stator/flywheel cover, etc. Since I don't have reverse/neutral light, headlight, taillight, or electric start, I feel like I am missing something obvious here in the wiring. I have the battery negative>ground, ground>headlight, battery positive>solenoid/main wiring harness, solenoid>starter. Side notes: 1. My starter motor does spin when I jump the solenoid. 2. The reverse lever is frozen in place. I read that this happens sometimes when they sit, and you have to put the chain on and move through the gears and give it some love to get it free, which I intend to do once the rtv on the cam cover is done curing. It is in neutral though, and still no light. 3. There are three wires with no connection, that I am not 100% certain as to why. The first is the female connector on the back of the quad(electric accessories plug?), the second is the red wire up by where the wiring coil from the stator connects by the handle bars, and the third is the white wire with the black stripe near the battery. As far as the orange and white/black stripe wires, I know the orange goes to an unconnected female plug in the headlight assy., and I am not certain about the white/black stripe. Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to include as much detail as possible. Thanks in advance.