General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Tao tao 125cc needs some TLC

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 07:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao tao 125cc needs some TLC

Hi,
I have a tao tao 125cc atv that was unfortunately left in the rain for several days. Now, I cannot start with the push button start switch even with the key ignition in run mode. Only way I can start is by shorting the solenoid posts, at which time headlights, rear rake light illuminates, but the gear display still does not.

I’ve replaced the electric push button switch, also the key ignition, replaced the cdi, replaced the voltage regulator, replaced the kill switch, yet still cannot start the traditional way. Also, no lights illuminate when attempting to start with push button. The gear display doesn’t work either.

I’m thinking I’ll have to check the continuity between each wire pin and components starting with the hand brake, then ignition switch, then start button and go from there.

Any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Old 07-11-2021, 11:17 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you check the kill switch at the back of the machine that has the tether on it, or the brake safety switch. If either one of those have failed it will do exactly what you have. If i remember correctly if you pull the black/white wire out of the cdi it will disable all safety switches. Makes it way easier to diagnose issues.. You would have to look it up online to make sure i have the wire color right

Old 07-11-2021, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
Did you check the kill switch at the back of the machine that has the tether on it, or the brake safety switch. If either one of those have failed it will do exactly what you have. If i remember correctly if you pull the black/white wire out of the cdi it will disable all safety switches. Makes it way easier to diagnose issues.. You would have to look it up online to make sure i have the wire color right

Hi.
this tao tao 125cc is about 5-6 yrs older so it does not have the tether in the back. I was researching another video and the guy said to follow the wire for the front right hand break, disconnect them, short the 2 wires going back to the cdi.

If I did disconnect the black /white wire from the cdi as you said, it should bypass all safety.

Also, there is no power/light to the gear display in front.
Also, with the key ignition off, if I press the push button start, it tries to start, but doesn’t. And then when I turn the key to on, try the push button start, nothing happens.

I’ll try your method first. I do believe it is the correct wire, the black/white stripe. I sure do hope this fixes it!

Thanks again for replying, it helps out a lot!

Old 07-11-2021, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi.
Good news. It must have been one of the safety,kill switches on the thing. It fired right up as soon as I disconnected the black/white stripe to the cdi.

question is, how do I turn it off now? I’m thinking run an extended wire with a on/off switch right where I cut the black/white stripe wire?

Or any other better suggestions?

Thanks!