General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Research on Larger Single Seat Buggies

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 04:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Research on Larger Single Seat Buggies

For the last month or so, I've been doing some research on single seat buggies larger than the kpx/carter/dazon 150 and 250cc types -- yet smaller than a full-on sandrail. I thought I would go ahead and throw what I've gathered out here to see if any of you have any more information/opinions/changes to info here.

I've found this buggy segment to be pretty sparsely populated -- and this makes sense considering it is somewhat of a niche segment, however I think that interest in this area is growing, and hopefully we'll have some more choices in the near future. For now, I've gathered that the following list is pretty much the available manufacturers (at least via the internet):

Drakart (U.S. -- California based) at http://www.drakart.com/

This manufacturer has some great looking products -- like the Extreme for example, which is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for -- and is based in the U.S., but unfortunately is pretty darn expensive. I realize what your getting for the money, but I wish they had kept a buggy that is in the under 10K price range. It seems to me like they had one -- the Sport model which I found was listed for 9K a couple of years ago -- but it seems like they have discontinued that model (there's only pictures of it on their site, no section for it anymore).

Desert Karts (U.S. -- Arizona based) at http://www.desertkarts.com/

These guys seem like the most sensible option for myself considering they are U.S. based, offer turn-key setups as well as rolling chassis, and the specs are in line with what I want. The stock Panther has 1 & 1/4 inch tubing, dual A-arm suspension setup in the front with 14 inches of travel, and single A-arm suspension setup in the rear with 12 inches of travel (I wonder what the stock clearance is -- looks a little low from the pictures on their site, maybe they don't do it justice). All this sounds great, my beef with it comes in looking at its design especially in comparison to some of the buggies from the other manufacturers listed here. For example, from the pictures it looks as if the seating area and the front of the frame are narrow in comparison with the other buggies. This also means that the front A-arm setup is really long -- I'm wondering if there's any problems with this other than the fact that it doesn't look that good.

Badland Buggy (Canada -- Alberta based) at http://www.badlandbuggy.com/

These guys have some rolling chassis kits that are a bit on the high side -- and some specials that I saw they had listed at a resonable price. Their stuff looks really good (talking in particual about the ST & ST2) -- different suspension setups, high quality components, good steering -- however, I wasn't able to find any specs on different models on their site. Maybe some of you have more info. Dealing with a foreign vendor (albeit Canadian) is also another issue.

Fooshka Industries -- The Beast (U.S. -- Idaho based?) at http://www.thebeast.azit.com/LairOfBEAST.htm

This is kind of the odd one of the bunch -- but I thought I'd throw it in for the heck of it. It seems that it only comes completely built (i.e. no option for rolling chassis). Its frame setup is quirky compared to the rest (one crossbar in the front between the two side beams?) -- closer to a stretched quad with a seat in the middle. Steering is also not a standard looking setup. However, with its big tires and shorter wheel base -- it is worth noting here as probably the most rugged terrain worthy of the stock buggies.

The Edge Products -- including XRV (Australian based -- with U.S. distributor in California) at http://www.theedgeusa.net/ (U.S.) and http://www.edge.au.com/ (Australia)

The manufacturer that seems to have the most plausible choices in this category at a reasonable price is the edge products. The first edge site I came across was the U.S site. What they have listed there, especially the Piranha, fit my liking very well. Full rolling chassis prices on the Piranha are from 3.5 to 4.5K -- the Hypersprint model (which is a little big for my taste) is listed at 6K. However, let me note that some of the U.S. site kit descriptions are somewhat obsfuscated -- which makes me question the validity of the prices (especially considering this is an Australian manufacturer, and the exchange rates have changed quite a bit lately). Anyway, I soon found myself going directly to the Australian site, which looks like it's maintained much better. There, they list another version of the Piranha with dual A-arm suspension in the rear (wondering if this is available from the U.S. distributor). On another link, they also have the extreme XRV -- a complete buggy (is there a rolling chassis version?) that looks similar to the piranha. At the current exchange rate, the XRV would be 11K U.S. without shipping, so that puts it off my list. The piranha gives me better options for motors anyways -- rolling chassis are just a lot more work [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]. The frame design an construction on these buggies is the best looking that I've seen on this list -- and they also show a production area with CNC machines (it also looks like they have the ability to do precise machining from the looks of their frame components). Stock travel and clearance are pretty much comparable with the other buggies here (wish Piranha kit had the option of a dual A-arm setup up front -- but I also wonder if this really matters that much).

Comparisons and conclusions:

In my situation, after weeding out manufacturers in the main areas of price and desired functionality -- I really am deciding between Desert Karts (Panther) and The Edge Products (Piranha, and rolling chassis XRV if they have it). Right now I am leaning toward a buggy from the edge products mainly for the following reasons: The frame on the edge products buggies looks like it was professionally built in a machine shop with very precise tools -- where the desert karts frame looks like it could have been built by using jigs, tubes, and a welder in a local garage (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but given the alternative ...). I also have a lingering question in the back of my head that maybe some of you could answer -- Desert Karts is using a dual A-arm suspension setup in the front, where the Edge is using it in the read with a single A-arm setup up front. Where is it more advantageous to use this setup, front or rear?

Anyway, thanks for reading this through -- and please feel free to attack all my opinions, with some logical research of your own.

Any help is appreciated -- Thanks

Old 02-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

bump

Old 02-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

The edge products are first rate looking I'll admit. When they first got started a few years ago, they sold the kit, and left it up to you to put together, weld etc. It was NOT a bolt together proposition back then... Maybe things have changed. They sure are sweet, and would be my only choice. Think about it, a 600 Yamaha or Honda crotch rocket motor in there? Or maybe one of those screaming 800 cc 4 cylinder two stroke snowmobile motors from Yamaha... talk about a sound that has to be experienced in person... hoo yeah...

Old 03-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Old 03-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

The most successful and widely available buggy is the Honda Pilot. The engineering of these is hard to beat. Parts availability is supreme and knowledgeable support is alway free at sites like www.pilot-odyssey.com. The pilot usually out performs all you have listed and can be bought for less than $10k, although their value is rising daily. www.pilot-odyssey.com is an open forum where you can ask any questions and find them for sale. Check it out!

Old 03-09-2005, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

I realize the edge products are not really in large numbers, bt from the one I drove with ONLY a Yamaha R6 600 motor in it, I'd have to say it could easily outperform any pilot I have ever seen.... You put over a hundred horses in something that light and make it handle... well, in one word, they are awesome. I hear guys are putting R1's and Hyabusa motors in them now... that ought to be real interesting....

Old 03-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
I realize the edge products are not really in large numbers, bt from the one I drove with ONLY a Yamaha R6 600 motor in it, I'd have to say it could easily outperform any pilot I have ever seen.... You put over a hundred horses in something that light and make it handle... well, in one word, they are awesome. I hear guys are putting R1's and Hyabusa motors in them now... that ought to be real interesting....
Are you sure you know what a Honda Pilot is? The Edge buggy's with street bike motors are like putting a jet engine with 20,000 hp in a Dodge Neon. Fast as heck in a straight line. Will a rocket powered Neon beat a NASCAR on the oval? Nope! The shifter powered buggys are like that. They are very fast going straight but tend to fall down when it comes to aggressive driving that requires sudden turning and rapid speed changes. I've driven a Sidewinder and thought it was neat for a home-made buggy, but it wasn't even remotely competetive with a decent Pilot when it came to drivability. All the shifting and clutching took my hands away from the steering wheel making it hard to maintain control of the car. If you have driven both you would recognize what I'm describing. Check out atvracing1.com from Phoenix. Give them a call. They are buggy experts and can help you make a decision on what you might want to buy.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

Yes I am familiar with a Pilot... still kick myself for not getting one when Honda was still making them... But in my case, I drove a Pirana. and it handled quite well actually.. and this one had paddle levers on the steering wheel for shifting gears up and down, with a hydraulic foot clutch for getting rolling... after that, you don't really need a clutch all that much... It was a pretty sweet setup and not a problem getting used to at all.

Besides I was steering more with the throttle... It suited my driving style pretty well... Most people buying these are duners going in straight lines up the face of a dune for the most part though... but it nice to know that it will turn.... Haven't been in an off-road race scenario though.... and you are right, that is probably a whole new ballgame. Way too much power for that I would guess. I'd classify it as a dune demon, not an off-road racer. With a few mods and some slicks, I imagine it would be one heck of a auto cross car though...

Old 03-23-2005, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm new...

I am also VERY interested in single seat buggies and have been to the sites pimpmyscoobie has shown here.
I currently own (or my 13 yr old son does) a very modified Carter 2906 w/13 hp modified Honda.
I am very impressed by the Badlands karts (quality ect) and Desert Karts (rough looking as they are). The Edge karts... - real pro job on the parts and build - these guys know product design and are first rate in everything I can see but the suspension - swing arm is just not right IMHO.
Overall, from what I have seen and read I must say that the Desert Karts seem to be the best thought out as far as the suspension and design. That wide stance lowers the center of gravity (major advantage over the Honda Pilot) and still has vast suspension travel and ground clearance. I have the means to buy/build one, but I feel a real need to drive one first... Anyone who has one... I am all ears...

Old 04-12-2005, 04:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

anyone checked out the carts at orvusa.com?

Quick Reply: Research on Larger Single Seat Buggies