General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

CVT transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVT transmissions

Originally posted by: nuke
There are MAJOR differences between an automobile CVT and what is used in ATV's or UTV's. The car CVT transmissions use a METAL belt, much tougher and more durable than rubber. As far as the perfect transmission for ATV use, I would rate the Rubicon tranny pretty darned close. No belt, and versatile as heck.
The belt being metallic is A "MAJOR" difference? Major to me would be it worked in a different way etc...

Old 10-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

The revving has been my only disappointment with the polaris. It's not that it was unexpected, but I missed my old Warrior's ability to put put on the trail in 5th or 6th @ 30mph without the engine running @ 5k rpm ...

I miss the fuel economy of a tranmission that's able to shift as well. my sportsman efi is one thirsty puppy with me on it ..

Old 10-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Trailblazer

My take on belts may be over-simplified, but it is a simple, but not well-engineered, method to do an "automatic" transmisson with a motorcycle engine. Honda does their homework, turns the engine 90 degrees, and designs some great automatic and manual gearboxes.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

It is a simple design. It's worked for eons in snowmobiles. I'd like to have a lever of some sort, or dial-resistance for the secondary clutch, where you could force the sheaves apart, allowing higher gearing (more or less)

Old 10-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Trailblazer

Snowmobiles don't get ridden in deep water and dust. I read forum posts in regard to users or manufacturers utilizing CVT cooling air filters, and owners getting into water deep enough to cause belt problems. However, virtually everybody except Honda and Kubota goes the belt route.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:57 AM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: NLWarrior01
The revving has been my only disappointment with the polaris. It's not that it was unexpected, but I missed my old Warrior's ability to put put on the trail in 5th or 6th @ 30mph without the engine running @ 5k rpm ...

I miss the fuel economy of a tranmission that's able to shift as well. my sportsman efi is one thirsty puppy with me on it ..
The polaris Needs clutched.. Out 700EFI Sucks *****. I hate the clutching in it.. just to lazy to do anything about it.. Its all rev and no go. sounds like you should be goin but it just dont hook up.. Needs some differnt springs at least if not some differnt weights.

And you cant even compare other manuals to a warrior.. my warriors are tractors.. you can ride everywhere in 6th and still accelerate. or you could be goin the same speed rapped in 3rd.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Trailblazer

Did some research, and spoke with a knowledgeable ATV mechanic. (FINALLY, after giving up on any mechanical know-how from a salesperson!) From what I can gather the Polaris does not run the belt full-time, utilizing it as a clutch. So, there is considerable friction on the belt when rolling from a stop. Conversely, the Yamaha Ultramatic runs the belt full-time and has a separate automatic clutch. I would presume this is why Polaris makes it easy to change the belt, as it is subject to increased friction, wear, and failure. At least in the case of Polaris, I would surmise the belt system is carry-over from their snowmobile design. Polaris was building snowmobiles long befre ATV's. To my knowledge Honda never produced a snowmobile, so their ATV design crew went a different (and better, in my opinion) direction.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

Research is a good idea, more so before trying to tell another how something works.
Just a thought.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

From this thread, it does appear there are others with my point of view about CVT transmissions.

So....what's everyone opinion on Honda. Will they build a side by side, and if so....when?

Old 10-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer

There are are many rumors floating around why Honda has not announced a side-by-side:

Struggling with a size & weight issue - here in the west the width of government-built gates to public lands prohibit most side-by-sides.

A key engineer on the project died.

Side-by-sides are not selling well in the east, as they are prohibited from many trails.

Personally, I may die first (age 65!), but holding out for Honda. Possibly a Rhino in the interim, as it would sell easily. If I needed a workhorse it would be a Kubota, and they are coming out next spring with a factory fully-enclosed heated and air-conditioned RTV1100.

Quick Reply: CVT transmissions