General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

CVT transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVT transmissions

Someday …. I will have a side by side type atv. The Ranger is sized right and has the right ‘stuff’, from what I have seen, for my purpose. But I’m concerned about the transmission driving characteristics.

I’ve got a Foreman with manual transmission. I have driven some Polaris ATV with CVT and to me, it’s either off or on. You can’t ‘putt’ along with the CVT. Take off easy, and it sounds like you should be going 30mph. This is the one single thing I simply don’t like about the CVT. Once you get going….it’s fine.

Is the Ranger the same way? Are there any options? Is there a way to make the CVT better, by making it react to a ‘little’ bit of throttle?

Old 09-21-2006, 01:45 AM
Trailblazer

Read this & you will know more than most about the topic. They don't vary much in design.
I would prefer a regular multispeed automatic transmission like Honda has in my Rhino. But that's just me, would like to be able to control the gear ratio myself.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm

Old 09-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is it me....OR are others also bother by this reving up of the motor that has to occur with CVT? It also adds to the throttle lag sensation on takeoff.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Not all cvts act that way. The yamaha ultramatic can go slow with out hard revving. The revving doesnt hurt the motor, they are designed to take it. But i know what you mean...its different from a geared tranny.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

I too have these transmission concerns. A "putter" in the hills at my age, high engine RPM is not preferable. I had a very short Ranger test drive and did not notice excessive RPM. My heart sank when Honda did not announce a UTV this year, and do not wish to wait another 12 months to be disappointed again. The sweet machine would be with a Rubicon tranny. Also, EFI is a requirement for my use, sometimes going from 3K to 10K altitiude in a single ride. At present a Ranger is the only solution.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Trailblazer

I agree. Belts are for someone who collects old Snapper lawn mowers and Hoover vacuum cleaners. It is amazing that the technology in these vehicles is still so prior century. Carburetors? Belts? Brake Drums? Steel Wheels? 2007? WTF?

Maybe our friends at Honda are listening. Honda has all the right mojo to put together the ultimate side by side.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

The majority of complaints that you read about the Rhino's CVT come from folks that have never driven one. They simply don't understand how it works and that scares them for some reason. Is it perfect? No, but what is? I myself would prefer a transmission similar to what Honda uses in their 700 but that does not mean the CVT is junk.
For 2007 Nissan has added the CVT to their very sporty Maxima. I doubt they did it because it sucks & the engineers at Nissan know much more than a handfull of anonymous folks posting on a forum.
Ignorance & fear are what most negative comments are based on with any subject. I have been in this industry most of my life and I own one with no worries.

I wish Shirley Manson had bigger jugs, but I would not kick her out of bed with the B-cups. I wish I could walk again, but 95% of other riders that know me wish they could climb the hills I do.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Trailblazer

There are MAJOR differences between an automobile CVT and what is used in ATV's or UTV's. The car CVT transmissions use a METAL belt, much tougher and more durable than rubber. As far as the perfect transmission for ATV use, I would rate the Rubicon tranny pretty darned close. No belt, and versatile as heck.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

"Major" is an understatement. The power-train warranties are up to 100,000 miles. That shows allot of confidence. Six months warranty on an ATV? WTF? Part of the problem here is that there are so many of us (most of us) that will settle for the "B" cups because they fundamentally get the job done and the manufacturers know it. But try to imagine for a minute ... a pair of 44 Double D's slapping you in the face instead . . . We would be donating our Yami's and Poo's to charity in a heart beat and lining up at the Honda dealer tomorrow.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-29-2006, 01:50 AM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: prowrench

I wish Shirley Manson had bigger jugs, but I would not kick her out of bed with the B-cups. I wish I could walk again, but 95% of other riders that know me wish they could climb the hills I do.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] NOOOO leave her jugs alone.. Hills? are you talkin about dirt or more boobies?

Quick Reply: CVT transmissions