General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

CVT transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVT transmissions

The metal "belts" in some of the newer technology CVT type transmissions are precision chains. These chains are about an inch and a half thick. The PINS that hold the chain together is what makes contact with the cone pulleys. The metal chain (belt) does not come in contact with anything. The conical pulleys in this technology are not influenced by the antique snowmobile type centrifical clutch rollers. The pulleys are altered by hydraulic driven pistons instead. This could be the HUGE difference?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

So who builds these newer CVTs? If no one currently does....will anybody that is in the ATV market do so in the futher?

Old 10-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

No manufacturer in ATV world has such a beast. Sadly, the manufacturers in this market will continue to milk ancient technology for as long as possible. The rubber band transmission will continue to be around for some time. A few of us were lucky enough just to get a fuel gauge this year. . . and it is year two thousand and seven. What we are looking for does not exist - Rhino (with a modified-updated suspension) + (insert any current 4 stroke multiport fuel injected PWC motor here) + Honda transmission = The ultimate machine.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

As far as I am aware, they exist only in automobiles. It would certainly be a selling point for me in an ATV or UTV. Most folks just ride and don't think much about the inner workings. I would be much more content if that were me. However, for us that take pride in HOW a machine gets down the road it is hard to swallow a dated design such as a belt between two variable-width pulleys.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer

I LOVE it! "Rubber-Band transmission" is an accurate description!

Old 10-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

There are two different views here. The 'normal' guys that have followed this stuff for a long time, lived it and loved it. They are much more forgiving and accept allot of things for what they are (snowmobile trannys, carburators, incadecent light bulbs, cheap azz shocks, etc.). Then there are the 'engineer' type guys that just poked their head in the door for the first time in 10 years and cannot believe what they see - A disappointment. For 10K+ USD? Where is all the 'good' stuff?

Old 10-13-2006, 10:21 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If belts last a winter in a 120 HP sleds turning a big long heavy track @7000rpm and makes them go over 100 mph through deep snow and slushy lakes than they must feel like they are on Vacation rolling 4 wheels along powered by a low HP/rpm 4 stroke thumber.

A belt last 1500 miles easy on a quad, they take 30 min to change and cost $50. There all just to many curves and hills on the trails I ride to constantly deal with shifting.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:56 AM
Trailblazer

Interesting comparison. Sled vs. Utility Vehicle. A 500 pound Sled, 3 cylinder four stroke 120HP and 7-9000RPM vs. 1500 pound Utility Vehicle, 1 cylinder four stroke 20+HP and 5000RPM. Sled: Motor> Belt Tranny> Jackshaft> Track> The Groomed Snow Trail. Utility Vehicle: Motor> Belt Tranny> Transfer Case> 2 Drive Shafts> 2 Differentials> 4 Axles> 4 Hubs & Rotors> 4 Wheels> The Mud and Sand Moon Course. Makes us wonder about power to weight ratios, differences in rotating mass, 1 wheel drive verses 4 wheel drive, ground pressure, rolling resistance, etc. Among other things.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:07 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Groomed trail ? than your talking 140 mph not 100. My sled will go up a unbroken 5 feet deep snow hill faster than a Rhino will go down a hard packed dirt road hill.

A 1100 pound Rhino can be pushed if sitting in neutral on firm level ground. A 600 pound Mountain sled can not be budged on a down hill on a packed snow trail there is that much more resistance with sleds. Belts (rubber bands) can somehow without breaking make these Mountain sled go up long steep deep unbroken ski slopes faster than cars are allowed to go down a Freeway.

A Rhino also has low range where the sled does not so it should be much easier on belts if the terrain get nasty. Point being, belts have a much easier life on all terrain vehicles thats why you only have to change them every second year and bringing a spare belt on a day ride is not a common procedure.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not asking about how long the belt last. I've heard they are crap. I've heard others say they have no problem. It's the driving characterisc that I don't like about a CVT. I want to give it a LITTLE throtttle and move. If you are into the speed and you slam the throttle wide open every time you take off, then I think the CVT is fine. To many times, I want to easy along slowly....I'm looking at all sort of things. I don't want allot of rpms on the motor to do that. When I get to an open area, do I go like a bat outa hell....sometimes....but NOT all the times.

Quick Reply: CVT transmissions