General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Wheelchair User - RUV - Which one to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheelchair User - RUV - Which one to buy?

Aging female wheelchair user in the market for a RUV. I need some leg room and a comfortable seat as I will be confined to the vehicle as long as I am out. Want to be able to ride some wooded trails - sedately! I'm not interested in rock climbing or mud riding - though I have been know to get my power wheelchair bogged down. Just want to be able to get out in the woods, sit, and observe. However, husband and sons seem to have more power requirements than I do, but I'm packing the keys!

I'm open for suggestions.

Sue

Old 04-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you plan to ride?. Make sure RUV's are allowed. The trails where I can ride are National Forests. They don't allow any OHV over 600 lbs and 50 inches wide, so ALL RUV's are excluded. (too heavy). Don't buy something you can't ride!.

As for picking one, the Yamaha Rhino is the most popular with plenty of mods available and an extensive dealer network. Polaris' Ranger XP is unique in that it has a bench type seat with room for three, where the Yamaha Rhino and Arctic Cat Prowler are two seat only UNLESS you put a bench seat on the bed. Check www.everythingoffroad.com. They have extensive mods for all three vehicles. The Prowler and the Rhino are the smallest in width, at less than 50 inches-good for tight, narrow trails-and the Polaris is the widest, at 60 inches.

I haven't mentioned the John Deere Gator or the Kawasaki Mule, because the are generally too slow for joy riding. Honda doesn't make a side by side yet, and Polaris will be introducing the RZR, a Rhino like vehicle in June or July. It looks to be great ride for just two.

I think you should consider dealer part support in your buying decision. Polaris and Arctic Cat don't have the dealer network Yamaha has. Whatever you buy, make sure the dealer either stocks commonly replaced parts, or can get them quickly.

There is nothing that will make you angry quicker than having you bike broke and having to wait weeks for a factory shipped part because the dealer where you dropped $ 8-10,000 on a ride is too cheap to have one on the shelf.

Here is an article that might interest you, its the story of Mike Young, a motocross rider who was injured in a crash, was wheelchair bound; and now races Rhinos using hand controls.

http://www.atvrideronline.com/featur...mike_young_jr/

Good Luck to you, and have fun.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

I think the Rhino would be a good choice for you. I have also seen a magazine article with one rigged with hand controls. I also think the bucket seats might hold you in a little better.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Lefty and Dan.

I'll be riding on private property and I won't need to modify for hand controls. My main concern is comfort, (I use a chair because of pain when I walk - auto accident when I was 20 broke everything!) and leg room since one of my legs only has about 45 degree bend in it. I can drive a car and still walk very short distances. The seats in the Rhino look way more comfortable than the bench seats in the others. I've found local dealers for the Rhino, Artic Cat, and Polaris so the next step is to go see which ones I can get in easily and are comfortable.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Sue

Old 04-24-2007, 02:27 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: HeftyLefty
As for picking one, the Yamaha Rhino is the most popular with plenty of mods available and an extensive dealer network. Polaris' Ranger XP is unique in that it has a bench type seat with room for three, where the Yamaha Rhino and Arctic Cat Prowler are two seat only UNLESS you put a bench seat on the bed. Check www.everythingoffroad.com. They have extensive mods for all three vehicles. The Prowler and the Rhino are the smallest in width, at less than 50 inches-good for tight, narrow trails-and the Polaris is the widest, at 60 inches.
The prowler is actually 62" wide. They are not the easiest to get into but offer ALOT of leg room! Check out www.hunterworks.com for all your accessorie needs. As for power the prowler is faster than the ranger xp, and rhino. If you ride tight trails, you should check out the ranger rzr. It is the fastest, and only 50" wide. Very hard to get though as they are on order, and they dont have a dump box

Old 04-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

This web site gives a very good side by side comparison of ALL utility vehicles...and accessability options that many users are unaware of.

http://www.agrabilityproject.org/***...cles/index.cfm

There is also a vehicle that you can drive a wheel chair up into and lock it down to ride...I have seen it on the web, but not sure where. Sounds like that is more than what you need anyway...???

Good luck, hope this helps, enjoy the ride...

Chris

Old 04-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow Chris! A great site, and not just for the utility vehicle. Thanks.

Sue

Old 05-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer

Glad I could be of service...
let us know what you end up with.

good luck and have fun

Chris

Old 05-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

Sue,
I would go sit in each UTV vehicle at a dealership to see if they have enough leg room. The Rhino is a tad limited in leg room, although people over six feet tall seem to do just fine in it.

The Rhino has numerous aftermarket seats available for it as well. I have a pair of PRP Suspension seats in my Rhino that are more comfortable than the easy chair in my living room. They are high back bucket seats with high lateral supports, and safety harnesses. I would think they would be great for someone in a wheelchair, because once you're in them, they do a great job of holding you comfortably in place.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

hi sue i recently was in a motorcycle accident leaving me paralized from the waist down. i purchased the ac prowler it has a very comfortable seat. there seams to be lots of leg room. and i love it. its so good to get out of the house and get some fresh air. i havent got it rigged up yet for hand controls but im looking for a set.

Quick Reply: Wheelchair User - RUV - Which one to buy?