General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

For those that left the quad world to go to the SXS world, do you have any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 10:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those that left the quad world to go to the SXS world, do you have any regrets?

Thinking about selling my quad (Can Am Outlander) and getting a SXS. I have only known quads my entire life. But I have in the past few years really liked the idea of going SXS. I am getting older and even with excellent suspension it seems a SXS would allow me to go longer, and bring my son, my wife, my buddy, ect. with me.

But, I don't know how much I'll miss just the ease of hopping on my quad and going. Going anywhere that may be inhibited by the bigger size of the SXS.

So, to anyone else that has left the quad life for a SXS, do you ever regret your choice or think about going back?

Old 03-09-2018, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I have been into quads for many years, wife had one also. Wife had hip replacements so quad riding became difficult for her. She didn't care for having two machines anyway as we couldn't talk as much. We sold both quads and bought a SxS and we aren't looking back! So much nicer having the two of us together, more comfortable ride and easier to steer with a steering wheel than the handle bars. Great opportunity to take the older grandkids along and much easier to teach them when your right along side.
Even they prefer the SxS over the quads. The SxS pushes snow much better and with a cab enclosure makes it warmer also. Now...we did not buy a big machine, we intentionally bought a smaller UTV to make it easier to get thru the trails. Our machine is only 56" wide so we have no issues on the trails and it handles very well. Some UTV's are way to big in my opinion, might as well be driving a jeep. We also went with a bench seat over the bucket seats as we use ours for work on our property and makes getting in and out much easier. Wife also likes the roll cage and seat belts as it makes her feel safer if I get a little crazy going thru the trails. To sum it all up....we would never go back to quads, yes they were fun, but the UTV is even more fun, better ride, more comfort, easier to take extra stuff along, easier to steer and the list goes on and on. These are the reasons that UTV's now outsell quads, especially to older people.
I highly recommend you try one out, but if you do be prepared to buy one.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I switched to SxS's and was so underwhelmed that after a year I sold mine and went back to ATVs. That was in the early days of SxS's though (Yamaha Rhino). Since then they have increased the performance of SxS's considerably, and I have gone back into the SxS market. We've owned a few Rzr XP 1000s, and a Rzr XP Turbo that we desert raced in local events, and had a great time. Now I've got a Maverick X3, which is just amazing. We still have the ATVs though, because nothing beats an ATV for tight technical 50" wide trails in the Mountains.

The SxS's are much better these days. Pick your poison, and have fun with whichever you choose.