Help with new rifle - Page 8 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Old 04-18-2009, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

W/o the use of any compounds does anyone really belive in the clean/shoot/clean method of breaking in the rifle. I've read what feels like tons of information the last few weeks about it and seems there is a dual purpose to this procedure. Polishing the bore for imperfections thus not allowing any carbon buildup til any microscopic pits are polished over and breaking in the throat of the rifle. Curious if anyone thought it was worth the time. Need to zero in the scope and thought I would use a combination of a few barrel break-in procedures out there. Cause everyone seems to be different in the methods they use.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

IMHO just shooting your new rifle enough to get it sighted in AND getting used to it should be enough. You're not going to shoot competitively with this gun, and unless you are trying to hit prairie dogs at 400 yds, it should be accurate enough. Remember, the target area to hit on a sheep, deer, or elk is the size of a paper plate. Don't drive yourself nuts trying to cover a 3 shot group at 200 yds with a quarter!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman800 View Post
IMHO just shooting your new rifle enough to get it sighted in AND getting used to it should be enough. You're not going to shoot competitively with this gun, and unless you are trying to hit prairie dogs at 400 yds, it should be accurate enough. Remember, the target area to hit on a sheep, deer, or elk is the size of a paper plate. Don't drive yourself nuts trying to cover a 3 shot group at 200 yds with a quarter!
Seems easy enough. Been so busy haven't even shot it yet. Off the subject but I'm nuts about golf. Got a big two day tournament this weekend. Been practicing. But I did get my first hole in hole the weekend before last. Anyways, just got my cleaning and gun case and last of supplies yesterday. I'm figuring less than 20 shots to get it sighted/broken in. Really apprehensive about it. I need to go back to ask the gunsmith what he zeroed it in at. If I'm not on paper the first shot I'm gonna be Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word ed. But I'll do the boresighting if I have too.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Range Rover

I have to ask the same. What are you hunting that you need the .338 rem mag for. Had one in Alaska I hated it and got rid of it. The ammo is expensive to the point you have to rob a bank to buy it and it kicks like a mule, BTW when you shoot the .338 the last act before you pull the trigger is to take you eye away from the scope or else you will wear a badly cut eye from the recoil. Unless your hunting BIG Alaska Bear you don't need a .338. If your looking for a good long range shooter that packs the hammer punch take a look at the 7mm rem mag. It has a very good bullet grain range to match it to your hunt and it will take anything from a WI whitetail to an Alaska moose and the range to reach out and touch your game, it is the rifle of choice in the hunt for Alaska Cariboo where 500yd shots are common and it knocks the animal down with the first well placed shot.

Other than that your the only one that can decide what you want and what you want to spend.

Good luck in your rifle and good hunting
Old 01-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Range Rover

Actually keeping a clean barrel is not a good choice for any hunting rifle. I follow the old ways in the teaching that a clean un-fouled bore is not as accurate as a barrel that has a little fouling left in it. Learned this in Alaska I would clean the bore and then run what is called the "fouling shot" through it and then put it away. I have sense never match fired my .22 or hunted on a clean "Un-fouled" barrel and I found the first shot accuracy jumped 110% for first shot bullseyes and single shot kills.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Hog View Post
Actually keeping a clean barrel is not a good choice for any hunting rifle. I follow the old ways in the teaching that a clean un-fouled bore is not as accurate as a barrel that has a little fouling left in it. Learned this in Alaska I would clean the bore and then run what is called the "fouling shot" through it and then put it away. I have sense never match fired my .22 or hunted on a clean "Un-fouled" barrel and I found the first shot accuracy jumped 110% for first shot bullseyes and single shot kills.
Agreed 110%!!!

Proud owner of a Howa 1500 (Read: Weatherby Vanguard since it's made on the same tooling) in .300 WinMag. I bore-snake the barrel twice, then put two rounds through it before putting it away. First shot cold "fouled" bore is always better than a clean bore.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:42 AM
Trailblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19TankHead60 View Post
Going to buy a new rifle. Looking for something in a 338 win mag or higher. Savage has some inexpensive SS combo ones for $600. Browning has thier SS X-bolt for around $900. Remington 700 XCR for about the same. I could step up to a 375 H&H. There's the Remington 700 XCR SS for $862. I'm tempted to go for the CZ 550 Safari or Amercian Safari magnum for $969. I'd like to keep it unser $1,000. Anybody have any oponions on these or others. I just started my search. Thanks for the help.
It looks like you have good options, why don't you choose anyone of these, these are really good.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:46 AM
Trailblazer

If you are thinking to buy a new rifle then you can check for saffordsportinggoods.com. Because it is a good site who works on sporting goods and sell gun and ammunition also.Recently, I have purchased one gun and it is really nice. I have purchased it for hunting. So, if you want you can see once.