Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Old rifle advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old rifle advice

I have a Remington model 1903, the old army rifle they used to use at the American Legion for Veterans Day 21 gun salute, in 30-06. It was given to me in my fathers will, and is in great shape, I was just curious, is this a good hunting rifle? I have shot it around the yard a bit, seems solid, but the sights could be a little better, I have kicked around the idea of going up north to the rifle zone sometime and deer hunt with it.Any advice on hunting bullets, or I have heard of " sporterize" kits that make the rifle a more hunt ready package, where would I find information on this?

Old 08-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old rifle advice

If your Remington is in "as issued" condition do yourself a hugh favor and don't modify it. These old rifles are getting hard to find in original condition. Litterally thousands of these have been sporterized, basterdized, chopped up and used for parts over the years. If you really want a sporting type rifle you can buy one ready made for less than you can mess up your '03 Remington.

The rifle, as it is now, is very usable as a hunting rifle. The sights take a little getting used to but a few sessions at the range will take care of that. You will find it quite a lot of fun to have an original '03 when in the field. Be ready to listen to the stories of other hunters who lament ever sporterizing theirs years ago. The bullet weight you will want to sight in with will depend on the country you will be hunting in. In my '03A3 I use 165 grain bullets for really open country and go to 180 or even 220 grain for light to heavy brush.

The 30-06 has long range capability, be sure you have a backstop before shooting.

Just to be on the safe side I would take this rifle to a competent gun smith and have the headspace checked. While he is at it have him inspect the bore to see if it is shot out or otherwise damaged. I have seen "Parade Ground" rifles that were used with blanks only that were marginal for use with live ammol

Enjoy this rifle, it's a piece of history.

Old 08-08-2004, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old rifle advice

Thanks, you're right, when I think about it, why mess with a gift from my father, something he wanted me to have after he was gone, also, not a bad idea having it checked out, I have shot it, but never made sure it was safe to use.

Old 08-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Default Old rifle advice

Glad to hear you have decided to keep your Remington in original condition.

Off sand bags most of these rifles are quite accurate. People look down their noses at the two grove rifleing many of them have but I have found these shoot as well as any of the others. In original condition you can usually expect under 2" groups at 100 yards depending on the skill of the shooter and the ammo used. Many times 1" groups can be had.

If you are interested in the history of this particular rifle contact the National Rifle Association. Their web site is easy to navigate.

Old 08-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default Old rifle advice

Originally posted by: 95wolv
I have a Remington model 1903, the old army rifle they used to use at the American Legion for Veterans Day 21 gun salute, in 30-06. It was given to me in my fathers will, and is in great shape, I was just curious, is this a good hunting rifle? I have shot it around the yard a bit, seems solid, but the sights could be a little better, I have kicked around the idea of going up north to the rifle zone sometime and deer hunt with it.Any advice on hunting bullets, or I have heard of " sporterize" kits that make the rifle a more hunt ready package, where would I find information on this?
Those are great guns, my grandpa still uses his for deer hunting in MN. I think the sites are pretty cool on those things. My grandpa likes to use it because it is heavy, and with his mild Parkinsins desease the extra weight of the gun allows him to hold it still. Pretty funny but he gets his deer every year.