Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Riding in the MUD!! (?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2000, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my 400EX a couple weeks ago, and the weather has constantly been rainy, so there's tons of mud around to play in. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I LOVE riding in the mud, probly my favorite kind of riding. My question is, what parts do I need to keep an eye on for 'mud damage'? Such as cables, chain, etc., and how do I go about preventing or at least minimizing the amount of damage done? Thanks for the help.

Old 05-03-2000, 04:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride in a number of places that have mud and everything. When I am through riding I always thoroughly wash and dry my quad. When I have everything clean I spray my plastic with wd-40
to keep mud from collecting as much. I need to get some shockwears so I can cover my shocks.

Woodrider400 00, 400ex renthal 400ex bend. Nothing else as of yet.

Old 05-03-2000, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

Mud collects on disk pads and rotors, and wears out the parts faster. Try to keep them clean.
Also, water and mud break down the O-rings on the chain. Keep it lubed up.

Chris

Old 05-03-2000, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

The main thing is to run a high-octane AVtype fuel! Just kidding.

When you get through riding, take the time and minimal effort to clean the mud off the parts the other posts mentioned. People that never wash and maintain their ATVs seem to have the most problems. The mud is a lot easier to get off right after a ride than next week. Some people spray Pam or Armor All inside the fender wells to keep the mud from sticking in the first place. If you are in mud and water that is deep, you may want to consider lengthening any vent hoses, also.

Old 05-03-2000, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

Only the best fuel is good enough for my EX... Premium or Av all the way. Obviously you've been reading some of my other discussions, hehe.

Thanks for the advise guys. I always wash the thing thoroughly after a muddy ride anyways, so that's taken care of. Also, I too plan to get some outer wears for the shocks. About lubing the chain, the manual says "in between the side plates", does this mean spray the lube on the roller part in the middle section of the chain, or on the side of the chain in the crack between the side plates? This is my first chain-driven vehicle, so I don't know much about em yet.

Nobody has had problems with mud getting in the cables? The reason I ask is because the throttle cable on my friend's LT250 froze up after riding through a couple pretty good mud puddles, and we had to pull him home. The cable was pretty much shot already, so maybe it was just a coincidence, but I thought I'd ask all the same.