Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1st Trip with 400ex:

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Trip with 400ex:

Well my wife and I popped the cherry on our bikes that we purchase last week. We went to Crab Flats Campground in Lake Arrowhead. There are about 4 trails but one two of the trails were a bit too advanced for our bike and us. The bikes performed great and they have a lot of power. Unfortunantley we did not go above 3rd gear since there was not enough distance to open up the throttle. The bikes in my opinion are kick as and don't beat you up a lot due to the suspension. I was surprised how well they do on fuel and how long you can ride them. These are great bikes and we had a great time camping and riding. Only negatives on the bikes that I can see which are a must on my next bike is reverse and an exhaust. I also notice Neutral is very had to get, sometimes you get it and sometimes you don't. I also have to get use to a vehicle that is carburated and how easy it can get flooded due to having the fuel switch to on when the bike in not running. I have just one question. I noticed a little hose which is similiar to the hose that comes out of the gas cap (air vent hose ??) that is located on the belly of the bike next to the chain and notice that fuel spills out when the bike is upright (for loading on a trailer). What is the purpose of this hose?

Old 05-18-2003, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

That hose is an overflow hose that comes from your carb, If you shut your gas off (point it to the Off position) then i believe gas shouldn't come out of there, but Any how.. It doesn't hurt any thing. Neutral is some times hard to get at, you will get use to it. Just downshift (with clutch pulled in) about 6 times then upshift just half a click and it should be in neutral.

Old 05-18-2003, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sm0k3d
Just downshift (with clutch pulled in) about 6 times then upshift just half a click and it should be in neutral.
Good old seven speed....wait....no...try not to park the bike in fifth gear... from first just very lightly pull up on the shifter...it should go right in with no problem...it's made like this so you don't hit neutral from first to second..

With your reverse whoas you'll get use to it and realize it's really not needed at all...you just think about where your going if you know you'll need to turn around, always stay to one side of the trail and usually you'll have more then enough room to wip it around before your buddies with reverse can even think about being turned around..

You said you noticed that gas leaks out that hose when flipped up...it will also leak all your gas out when trailoring so always turn it off unless you would like a trailor full of gas...It's a vent for your carb.