Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

dyno jets vs. stock jets

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003 | 02:18 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default dyno jets vs. stock jets

Does anybody know how different the dyno jets are numbered then the stock keihin jets? The stock main jet for my recon was #095 but the dyno jet with a K&N filter is #092. I want to put a supertrapp exhaust on it and I will probably have to buy new jets since the largest jet that came in the kit was the #092. How many main jet sizes up would I have to go up with the addition of a high-performance pipe, that way I have an idea of what dyno jets to buy.
Thanks

Old 06-23-2003 | 02:23 PM
Range Rover

I always thought rule of thumb was go up 2 sizes and then do a plug chop

Old 06-23-2003 | 06:02 PM
|
Pro Rider

NiteKrawler-What do you mean by a "plug chop"? Is that when you do a full throtle run and then check the plug color for leanness or richness?
Thanks.

Old 06-23-2003 | 06:21 PM
Range Rover

Yes. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-23-2003 | 09:42 PM
Range Rover

So Nightkrawler, how exactly do you suggest this young man do a "plug chop" on a semi-auto quad. No clutch? if you kill the ignitiom you still suck fuel in the motor for a while, if you let off on the gas you will show an over rich mixture which may not be acurate.

Doing a plug check on a semi-auto is much more complicated, I would suggets you do a benchmark test of your original configuration then compairing that to your latter results.

By default Honda jets thier quads lean from the factory for California CARB requiremets, my stock Foreman had a #130 main with a modified exhaust and intake I am at #142.5 now with exeptional results.

Old 06-23-2003 | 09:55 PM
Range Rover

Lets remember, this is a place where we help others , not take things out on people we CAN'T seem to do @ home
Try putting it into neutral. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2003 | 08:07 AM
Range Rover

Again its a semiauto, clutch stays engaged and transmision will not go into neutral until you are at a stop which means you have to downshift through the gears with your thumb off the throttle until you come to a stop, which gives an invalid indication on the plug, trust me I have tried it.

Giving misinformation to people will only cause them more frustration, I know you were trying to help, but if you can't give proper info don't give any.

You can feel comfortable going up two or three sizes on your jets as its better to be a little fat on your jetting than lean.

Old 06-24-2003 | 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

Back to the original question about the different jet numbers. I was told by a knowledgable source they are mikuni metering numbers. You have to use one or the other. I prefer to use Keihin OE jets. Just look at the difference in detailed machining. It tells me the Keihins are more accurately metered. Which is what you want.

Old 06-24-2003 | 09:53 AM
Range Rover

The only thing the dynojet kit gives you is better needle taper, I agree the jets are probably of lesser quality. I personally just went with the Kehin jets and raised my needle to the highest position to get more low and mid range fuel.

Old 06-24-2003 | 11:11 AM
|
Pro Rider

Well I will probably be getting the dyno jets since thats what I have in it right now and same with the needle. Now does anyone know how they are numbers (ex...95, 95, 98, 100, 102...). If that is the correct way they are numberd I am going to get a 98, 100, 102 dynojets.

Quick Reply: dyno jets vs. stock jets