Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Someone help me with my Warn 424

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 12:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone help me with my Warn 424

Ive seen several good posts on the Warn 424 in here so I went out and bought one today for my Rancher. For all of you that said it was easy putting on........boy.............I guess there is something wrong with me cuz I busted more knuckles [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] and threw more tools than ever [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But its on there. Anyways, it seems to be working fine but sometimes it (the red button) doesnt want to lock when its pulled out in 4WD. If there are any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Also is there anything special I need to do to help it engange/disengage 4WD (stopping, backing up, switching gears etc). Thanks

Old 07-29-2003, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

Well the select shifts best when moving under power. If you try to shift it standing still you have a 50/50 chance that the spines are lined up for the unit to go in. some times you will have to rock the quad for them to line up. As the unit wears it gets a little easer to use. Make sure that the cable is adjusted right. Try running the cable all the way into the body and see if that works better. One question, did stand the quad on the rear rack to do this install?

Here are some hints.

If you stand the quad on the rear rack. Pull both front wheels the inner fender left side. It makes removal and install a lot easer. After unbolting the front diff. use a pry bar through a frame hole to raise the diff. Mount the strap holder and strap to the unit and leave it a little loose. Put the snap ring and spring from the old shaft onto the new one. The rubber boot will hold the spring and yoke from coming apart when you try to install it. Slide the select onto the front diff first then pull up on the yoke real hard to get it over the output shaft of the motor. Remove the two ***** and slide the housing through the hole for the rack and mount it on the left side (Rubicon right side). Do not forget to mount your strap to the frame.

I hope these hints help.

Old 07-29-2003, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tips on the install, which I had known those things before I put it in yesterday. I did try what you said about its use and they worked. Thanks again. Brian

Old 10-13-2003, 11:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am sorry I didnt read your email before I started to install the 424, quite difficult on your own. I thought it would be a piece of cake based on the positive feedback , guess thats selective reading on my behalf. Like you I find it difficult to engage in 2wd except when partially moving and I wonder if it improved for you since . I installed mine on a 450es . Im not over the moon about the improved handling what do you think ?.Thanking you

Old 10-13-2003, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

First make sure it is adjusted right. Like HARW said you have a 50/50 chance the splines are lined up. Just hold the **** out and give it a little gas and it will engage. I did not have any trouble installing mine but I read a lot of comments on here before hand. I wish I would have stood the machine up it would have beeen much eaiser than on safety stands. Enjoy it.

Old 10-15-2003, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Erno, My 424 works like a charm and it seems to have gotten easier to use or at least Ive gotten better at using it. I put my machine and the 424 through the works a few weeks ago in the Uwharrie National Forrest. They both performed well above my expectations.

Old 04-20-2005, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider

When I buy my 05 RancherES 4x4 could I have them install it during the preperation process?

Trending Topics

Old 04-20-2005, 04:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my first answer to your question is adjust the cable. YES, it is a tight area and PITA to put in. i think getting the gears all greased up, and then trying to put shaft back in doesn't help.it just keeps slipping. then trying to get boot to slide over shaft without tearing boot is a trick. finally, getting the output shaft cover back on really iced the PITA cake for me.

i had my front fender off already and was working in kinda a tight spot. i was too lazy to remove the fender stay and still have 3-4 nice scrape marks on my leg (the kinds of marks i wish my wife would leave on my back). as for cable routing, make sure you have the widest sweeps you can, without any kinks, or too many zap-straps. i actually routed the cable to the RIGHT side of steering shaft/handlebars and mounted the switch above my gas tank on the plastic tank cover piece, just ahead of/beside gas cap. I didn't wanna drill holes in front plastic. it's a super easy to reach, great spot. and it's almost a natural for giving the cable a wide, sweeping, non-kinked run. btw, mine is an '01 foreman400.

so i dropped the set screw (tiny allen screw) for the black peice that threads on just before the red release **** (which also has a similar set screw). i can't find the tiny little bastage. why do they even have it when the black piece threads on, and there's no specific indent or other spot for that set-screw to go in anyways? it just tightens up against the same threads you're tightening it on. and what size is that thing (standard i assume)??