Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Has the Rincon Stalling on uphills problem been solved?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 06:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has the Rincon Stalling on uphills problem been solved?

I have a friend with an 03 Rincon. It too has stalled and to avoid it he went to ESP shifting. He is not sure if that will be the trick or not but we would like to know if the problem has been identified and or aknowleged by Honda.

Old 08-13-2003, 10:18 AM
Range Rover

I haven't had the problem, but I have been messing with the carb. If I slam it open from idle there is a small lag. I'm thinking it's a lean condition off idle (needs bigger pilot jet). And/or raising the needle and/or taking a few lengths off the slide spring. That thing is a monster.

I did turn the pilot screw out 1 turn, and it helped. I could see how this could cause a problem if you get off the throttle going uphill then give it gas again.

Old 08-13-2003, 05:05 PM
Range Rover

Ok, I got this to happen (stalling uphill). I found a nice SAFE hill and went up, let off the throttle, rolled back a little, then opened up the throttle again.. did it twice and it stalled hard. I was able to repeat this a couple of times.

This has to be either a lean condition or flooding the plug as it only seems like it happens when you have the throttle open, then close it, then open it again. Hard to tell which. Maybe we can get some ideas from here (ya right!)

I know that that slide spring is too big in my opinion, possibly causing not enough a/f mix to get it when closed/reopened fast (slide is too slow). It would take more testing to know for sure. I also think the pilot is too lean. Maybe testing with the lid off to see if it happens easier.

I know it happened easier in 4wd as opposed to 2wd as well.

If I had a spare slide spring I'd experiment and cut the stocker a little shorter.

You can also simulate it by putting in neutral, then open and close the throttle a couple times.. the 3rd time when you go to open it fast it will bog. I'm sure this is the same thing that's happening causing this problem.

Man, it's too bad there isn't a Rincon forum out there.. sure would be nice to get some more owner's input.

Old 08-14-2003, 01:27 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bvstone, sounds like you are on to something???

Honda is always so worried about libaility. You would think a stalled bike on some killer hill would get their lawyers attention real fast. They need to fix this and do a recall before somebody gets hurt. (I assume this is like any car automatic transmission and will roll backward even when in gear?????? Autoclutch bikes will also roll backward in gear, a fact not appreciated by beginners!).

One nice thing about a manual clutch is the bike won't go far if it is in gear. I drill my daughter that if she can't make some hill, just stall it in gear (don't instinctively pull in the clutch though!). Ah, simplicity!

Old 08-16-2003, 06:38 PM
Range Rover

I did some more playing around and I'm convinced it's a rich condition after opening/closing the throttle (once or twice at least) that causes the problem. It fouls the plug and kills the engine. IT's also hard to restart which makes me believe the plug is fouled and it's not lean (should start right back up if it's lean?) Or maybe it IS lean and it's the floats that are too low.. Man, I'm just thinking out loud.

I'm trying to decide if dropping the needle a little or clipping the spring would be the best mod. I did play around before richening the needle and it slowed it down... so maybe they have it jetted rich in the mid (the needle has a VERY steep taper) because that's where you're riding all the time. There is one spacer under the needle (the flat skinny washer should stay) that could be removed to lean things out a little.

But I also think the pilot is lean as well. So you're a little lean on the bottom, but rich in the mid (needle) that fouls the plug with quick open/closing/reopening of the throttle. Wacky stuff.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Once I get my service manual and make sure everything else is in check (TPS, etc) then I'll start playing with the jetting. Not sure what size or type the pilot is so I want to get one size up there as well.

Old 08-16-2003, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Prairie650 that I just had to work with the Pilot jets to get it to cold start better, and it also helped it idle smoother. I believe it is stronger off the line also.
I have read posts on the Rincon stalling on uphills and believe if you have adjusted the carb , you need to get it back to stock form on the and work with the Pilot jet and adjust the idle up a notch too. Go hard up a simi steep hill and stop. Have a friend standing by where you will be stopping to keep you from getting hurt.
Remember it has an auto type transmission, and that may have lots to do with it. Too low of an idle could stall her.
A modern 4 Stroke with electronic CDI ignition fouling the plug? Hmmmm? I would think not, but who knows.
Good Luck.

Old 08-17-2003, 10:15 AM
Range Rover

How does an electronic CDI stop a plug from fouling?

Trending Topics

Old 08-17-2003, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

They are really hot sparks compared to a points type. I think if you flood a CDI ignition with gas you will be smelling it pretty strong.

Old 08-17-2003, 11:08 AM
Range Rover

Hot sparks? That won't make a difference. If you spray hairspray over a match, or over a blowtorch, you'll get the same combustion. Hot Sparks is a marketing scan by Dyna and other companies to sell iginitions and make you pay $400 for a box that raises your rev limiter. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Like I said, though, I am not sure if it's flooding or not. I'm guessing it's flooding because it's hard to start right afterwards without cracking the throttle a little. If the plug wasn't fouled and it stalled from a lean condition, it should fire right back up.

CV carbs are trickly little bastages, but I've worked on enough of em now to know what's up with em.. I just have to take the time to experiment now.

Old 08-17-2003, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

I hope you find it. My friends Rincon also stalls when going Wide open down a trail and has to nail the brakes for a hair pin turn. It has never stalled in ESP.
Are there any reports of the stalling in ESP?

Quick Reply: Has the Rincon Stalling on uphills problem been solved?