Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

FourTrax 300 won't crank!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 10:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FourTrax 300 won't crank!

MACHINE:
2000 FourTrax 300, purchased new and well maintained. Not a lot of miles on it. Change the oil frequently and use only premium gasoline. Average riding time is about 1/2 hour per week.

PROBLEM:
The last few weeks I noticed the engine had an occasional miss. I routinely change the spark plug once a year, so I had planned to replace it. Meanwhile, while my son and I were riding, the ATV quit on us when we were in 3rd gear on a trail. We let it sit for a few minutes, and were finally able to crank it again. We headed back and it quit again about 100 yards from home. Would not crank at all. Pushed it home and found muscles I didn't know I had.

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR
Tried to start it using all choke ranges.
Replaced the spark plug, which was somewhat dirty but not bad.
Checked fuel fill cap breather hole - open.
Checked fuel strainer screen - clean.
Checked air cleaner element - recently cleaned and re-oiled.
Checked air cleaner driain tube and housing - clean.
Noticed a fluid that looks like oil leaking from the fuel valve. Cleaned exterior of valve after checking screen, but it leaked again. The O-ring appears good, but I will replace it.

WHAT I HAVE NOT DONE
Anything regarding the carburetor or ignition systems. I'm hesitant to dismantle any of this unless it's something simple. I'm in the process of changing jobs, so I can't afford any significant repairs. Anything I do will most likely have to come from me.

Any suggestions? I appreciate any advice to help get us back on the trails.

Thanks,
Tom
twagner@datasync.com

Old 09-01-2003, 12:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

do u have a pic of the fourtrax

Old 09-01-2003, 01:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

and for the problem did you check the carborator ? is it leaking oil ?

Old 09-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

have you checked the fuel cut on the side of the seat???

Old 09-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

May sound dumb but check the shut off valve and make sure it has plenty of gas.

Old 09-21-2003, 08:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to ALL who responded with an answer to my problem. I’m sorry to have been so long to get back with you, but I’ve had to work a lot lately.

The problem was that the kill switch was actually engaged, although it looked like it was in normal position. After finding this, I worked the switch through its full range of motion and it does what it’s supposed to do in the correct positions. However, it seems to be like a pistol with a hair trigger – only a slight amount of movement causes it to activate when it appears to be in the “off” position.

I’ve ridden the machine several times since then and it has not died, although one concern that remains is I’m still getting fluid that looks like a mixture of oil and gasoline leaking from the fuel valve. Every time I wipe it from the exterior of the valve housing it leaks again.

Today I’m going to replace the fuel valve O-ring and might drain the tank entirely since my gasoline is stored outside in a poorly ventilated shed. If this doesn’t stop the leak, I might replace the fuel strainer O-ring although I think the tank has to be removed to do this. This will have to wait until I have enough time.

Once again, thanks for all the GREAT replies and I hope someone else has benefited from our exchange of ideas!

Tom1100
twagner@datasync.com

Old 09-21-2003, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Hey don't feel bad I work on them all the time and find the kill switch in the wrong postion. The best is when they call about it and they get mad cause they think that you calling them stupid but if the bring it in they won't pay for it either
or there out of gas that 's a good time too well good luck.

Old 09-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

It has been my experience that when a quad quits unexpected...and cools down...then restarts...and quits again as in your case....that more than likely it is going to be an electical problem, if of course your not out of gas.

Simple things first- check your cdi unit and your electic start unit to ensure none of the wire connections have come out or may be loosley fitted.

A similair situation happened to my sons quad...it just quit running..and would not start. I traced the wires after hours of checking everything else out..... and found that one of the electric connections was loose, and once I snapped it back in place...no more problems.

I hope this may be the case for you.

Another cause is the electronic (CDI) unit. Once these units go bad...only fix is a new one.

Good luck!