Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450r bigger carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 450r bigger carb

how much of a difference does it make that the trx450r has a larger carb than the yfz? I don't know too much about carbs that's why I'm asking? Do you think that with 11 more cc's and the bigger carb that it will have more torque and hp, or not because of the lower compression?

Old 09-11-2003, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450r bigger carb

i know that they switched out the original carb from the CRF and put in a bigger, but not as good one. Everybody is saying that the FCR (I think thats what it's called) from the CRF was supposed to be better for some reason. The carb on the YFZ is called a flat slide carb, i think, and those are supposed to be like the best kinda carb you can get. I'm not sure if everything i just said is EXACTLY correct, but it's just what i've heard[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450r bigger carb

Perhaps the mx carb won't work as well!!!

The 450R has a different bore and stroke, air intake and exhaust so maybe this is the better carb>

Old 09-11-2003, 11:05 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Default 450r bigger carb

what makes this carb so bad, ridley?

Old 09-12-2003, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default 450r bigger carb

ok so which bike has a better carb, the yfz or 450r?

Old 09-12-2003, 01:17 AM
Range Rover
Default 450r bigger carb

The YFZ has the better carb. If the 450R had the carb from the dirtbike they would be similar

Old 09-12-2003, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer
Default 450r bigger carb

I watched the webcast for the honda..which by the way its looks have grown on me over night. ANny way they said the power up kit from hrc was $299. Anyone know what you get? I do believe Yamaha has the edge on paper technicaly. I do not believe the carburators are an issue... this has always been a good marketing ...either carb does the exact same job...I dealt with this in the sportbike areana for years... you can have a great carb that isn't jetted correctly ruin an other wise good bike. By the way I do believe that Yamaha has stolen hondas thunder over the past few years....putting out ALOT of kickass products at a fast rate....most of thier line up is new this year or at least revised....I may sell out in the end and go yamaha if honda doesn't get its act together and offer a bit of variety. thay have some but thier overall line up isn't quite as stunning as Yamaha's....omg listen to myself...what am I saying...

Old 09-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450r bigger carb

the 42 mm cv carb is not as hightech as the FCR-mx 39mm carb on the yfz. although all carburetors pretty much function the same the just do it differently.
i beleive if honda would've put the trx motor more in spec with the crf motor, with the 13;1 compression, FCR carb and so fourth they would definately have the horsepower advantage over the yfz.
what the 42mm fcr carb will do is give pretty good throttle response and more lowend power then a fcr. the fcr is a awesome mid-top power carb.
so yes i really think honda dropped the ball on the trx , i don't think it's in the same league stock for stock against the yfz, it has less wheel travel, it will appeal to less people becuase of no electric start, and it won't be as fast as the yfz.
honda really cut some corners on this thing, just to get it to the same wieght as the yfz.just goes to show, that yamaha is serious about performance and bringing new customers to their product line. honda has been sitting on it's **** for to long and they have gotten lazy. it's a good thing theres alot of loyal honda fans out there that keep coming back, and thats what honda relies on.loyalty will get you knowhere in this world.
but i'm sure since this new trx450 is a honda the aftermarket company will go nuts on it even more then the yfz. just becuase it's a frickin honda, i'm not sure why they get all the billing but i think it just sucks, but -please don't get me wrong i'm not bashing honda they build exceelent machines, the are super reliable and well built, it's just they aren't building them the way the public wants them fast and mean.

Old 09-12-2003, 12:14 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Default 450r bigger carb

Originally posted by: Ridley
You don't really think a butterfly operated CV carb compares to the 40mmm FCR that come with the bike do you????? You're intelligent enough I don't need to spell that out for you do I?????
yes, you need to elaborate the differences and why each is better. Some of us don't know about these sort of things and the whole part of a message board is to retain some information traffic, NOT acting like an arrogant know-it-all.

Old 09-12-2003, 12:16 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Default 450r bigger carb

Originally posted by: killerkx327
the 42 mm cv carb is not as hightech as the FCR-mx 39mm carb on the yfz. although all carburetors pretty much function the same the just do it differently.
i beleive if honda would've put the trx motor more in spec with the crf motor, with the 13;1 compression, FCR carb and so fourth they would definately have the horsepower advantage over the yfz.
what the 42mm fcr carb will do is give pretty good throttle response and more lowend power then a fcr. the fcr is a awesome mid-top power carb.
so yes i really think honda dropped the ball on the trx , i don't think it's in the same league stock for stock against the yfz, it has less wheel travel, it will appeal to less people becuase of no electric start, and it won't be as fast as the yfz.
honda really cut some corners on this thing, just to get it to the same wieght as the yfz.just goes to show, that yamaha is serious about performance and bringing new customers to their product line. honda has been sitting on it's **** for to long and they have gotten lazy. it's a good thing theres alot of loyal honda fans out there that keep coming back, and thats what honda relies on.loyalty will get you knowhere in this world.
but i'm sure since this new trx450 is a honda the aftermarket company will go nuts on it even more then the yfz. just becuase it's a frickin honda, i'm not sure why they get all the billing but i think it just sucks, but -please don't get me wrong i'm not bashing honda they build exceelent machines, the are super reliable and well built, it's just they aren't building them the way the public wants them fast and mean.
can we assume that the TRX's carb is less maintenance than the FCR?

Quick Reply: 450r bigger carb