Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

440EX VS. POLARIS SCRAMBLER

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 440EX VS. POLARIS SCRAMBLER

Originally posted by: 420EX
what a concidence, i ordered a stage 1 and they sent me a stage 2, you seem to be very knowledgable so im going to listen to you and stick with the stage 2. thank you

You will deff be happier with the performance. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Just an FYI but the stage one basically improves on the profile of the XR cam making more suitable for use in the quad app. Its a fine cam but just doesnt have enough lift or especially duration for the needs of the bigger bores and higher flowing ported heads or fcr carb mods etc.

Old 10-20-2003, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: MDE3
Originally posted by: manual
Originally posted by: YFZ450R
the yfz has 1 piston, it goes BDC (bottom dead center)-TDC (top dead center) 4 times, it makes compression, every time it bdc's it takes a gulp of fuel and then goes tdc and the gas is burned,which is forced out the exhaust port,every time it tdc's it makes the spark plug on the head spark.

wow it goes top and bottem to compress? I thought it magically compressed....
good thing you can copy and paste

For all you guys who have read this and assumed "YZF" copied this reply you are demonstrating about the same level of awareness that YZF has exhibited concerning the function of a 4 stroke engine.

First of all the piston does not go TDC and BDC four times in a cycle, but read my lips........starting at TDC (more or less) the piston decends to BDC on the intake stroke, rises back up to TDC on the compression stroke, goes back down to BDC again on the power stroke, and back up to TDC on the exhaust stroke.....count .'em..twice each,

The spark does not fire each time the piston reaches (or actually approaches) TDC, but every second time on the power stroke. The compression begins at BDC and reaches peak just before the piston reaches TDC....for reasons I will not go into at this point. The intake of fuel begins at TDC not at BDC as that is the nominal beginning of the pressure differential or vaccuum (again more or less) (The pipe, porting valve sizing, cam duration and intake arrangement can all effect the actual point when fuel starts being drawn into the engine for the intake stroke).

So for all of you who assumed this answer was copied because it seemed correct to you.....better go get a basic automotive manual and read a bit more before you pass comment on the knowledge of others.
sorry but you are wrong,it goes from BDC-TDC 4 times on the 4x and BDC-TDC 2 times on a 2x but the rest you said was right
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-20-2003, 05:03 PM
Range Rover

[q
sorry but you are wrong,it goes from BDC-TDC 4 times on the 4x and BDC-TDC 2 times on a 2x but the rest you said was right
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][/quote]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the lesson..............

PS go back and read what I wrote, think about it, and if you still feel I am wrong punch in "4 stroke engines" and read almost any article about the design or function of 4 stroke engines. Have fun..learning can be a humbling but worthwhile experience.

Hint: 1 stroke is from bottom dead center to top dead center or the reverse. Each stroke is called: Intake stroke, compression stroke, power stroke and exhaust stroke.

Old 10-20-2003, 06:41 PM
Trailblazer

from the article i read last year,it said 2 strokes were called 2 stroke cus it went from TDC-BDC=it took 2 of those to make a complete 2stroke cycle-cus it has a valve port in the sleeve in stead of having valves like a 4x.the 4x did TDC-BDC 4 times to make a complete 4 stroke cycle. and they said 2 strokes have the better advantages with after market exhaust pipes,cus of the way they are designed inside to reflect the sound waves,and keep the exhaust gasses from re entering the cylinder,which will=more power. but i will reed more about 2 strokes and 4 strokes,would you happen to know of any sites that give usefull information relating to what we are talking about???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-20-2003, 07:19 PM
Range Rover

Just pop in a search for "how four stroke engines work" on the net and you will find lot's of sites. The simplest one is "how stuff works...four stroke engines".......there is an illustrated moving graphic with an explanation. We all had to learn sometime. I have shot myself in the foot so often I have a permanent limp..........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

But it's more profitable to spend the time looking up stuff you are not absolutely sure of than arguing about it with many people who really do understand.....part of getting older. You have made a good start, but if you are going to fool with mechanical things, understanding how things work first, and getting the details right will save you a lot of time and aggrevation......not just in a forum, but in the garage.

Yes you are right about the 2 stroke harmonic designs of the pipes and timing the pulses to improve fresh air flow as well as control the power band range. The same thing is actually true on 4 strokes but less attention has been given to that technology at the lower end of motorsports where stroking and boring can give such big intitial gains.

Actually in the more advanced four stroke racing motors, both exhaust and intake porting are given almost equal importance as is the shape, diameter and transitions of the exhaust pipe. But all this has to go together, which makes it hard to get maximum gains from bolt on kits. Some improvement is certainly possible, but the whole system from air filter to exhaust pipe should be "harmonized" to get the real benefits. You can actually lose performance if the system is not properly tuned in.

Old 10-20-2003, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

ok[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-20-2003, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

Haha i ride atv's for fun i dont like how people argue and say other stuff about other atv companys everyone pushes on polaris i dont get it if you could have a pred for 1000 i know mos t of you would buy it

Old 10-20-2003, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Eceriderjbomb
Haha i ride atv's for fun i dont like how people argue and say other stuff about other atv companys everyone pushes on polaris i dont get it if you could have a pred for 1000 i know mos t of you would buy it
i woulndt, cus the next day i would have to sink over $4,000 just to fix it. that would be a waste to ride something for 12 hours for 1k.

Old 10-20-2003, 11:30 PM
Trailblazer

What happened?

Did your imaginary YFZ450 up and disappear? And now your "Saving your money"?

Old 10-21-2003, 02:12 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: SpeedyZ400
What happened?

Did your imaginary YFZ450 up and disappear? And now your "Saving your money"?

Hey ease up a bit .....everybody has fantasies......... maybe he's just getting real......Posting with a new attitude on here and a new signature, while knowing he could be the subject of some negative attention.....that takes some cohones too.

Quick Reply: 440EX VS. POLARIS SCRAMBLER