Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Trailers or hauling an ATV

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003 | 02:08 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default Trailers or hauling an ATV

whatever you get,,,,go with tall tires,,bearing buddies,,and be concious of the weight ratings for your needs,,,,and be sure you have something that can pull it safely

depending on how big you go and what you are pulling it with,,,,electric brakes can be a lifesaver (literally).

check out ebay,,,,i have seen quite a few on there that wholesale cheap

Old 11-01-2003 | 02:09 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

enclosed trailers are really fun to modify and customize to your needs.

Old 11-02-2003 | 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

i use my pickup. set the tri-fold ramps in place and drive off or on. although I am looking for longer ramps as mine seem short and it is easier to spot a small hill to set the ramps so it is not so steep a climb on and off. looked at trailers, but with only one atv, the pickup is the way to go right now for me.

Old 11-04-2003 | 03:07 AM
Pro Rider

I use a Triton LT10-101 trailer for the quad. It has a tilt bed for easy loading and can handle 2 full size quads, side by side. Only weighs about 400# when unloaded, easy to move around by hand. Very well made. I added two wheel chocks in case I want to tow the bikes.

Here's a link to Triton. You have to buy from a dealer though. The trailer I have cost about $1200. Not cheap but very well built. You can also add a cover, check you bike though as the inside height is 54" .

http://www.tritontrailers.com/

Scott W.

Old 11-04-2003 | 08:53 AM
Trailblazer

I bought an enclosed toy hauler for security purposes, I can fit only 2 ATV's in it but I can also throw alot of extra gear, gas, tools, coolers etc... in it without worrying too much about people ripping me off. The trailer has the rear ramp door for easy loading as well as a side door for easier access to gear up front.

Old 11-11-2003 | 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

A big reason I just purchased a Rancher ES was to be able to pull a small trailer. I purchased a 15LT trailer which can be seen at: http://www.bigtextrailers.com/spec/15lt.html

This probably will not help you in Utah, but I imagine other companies make similar products.

I have two questions though for all you experienced ATV folks out there. This trailer requires a 2" ball. The shaft on the 2" ***** laying around the garage will not fit the hole on the Rancher ES. I haven't made it to the trailer shop to see it they have a 2" ball with a smaller shaft. Anyone have an easy solution?

The other question is that I want to haul 2 to 4 people in the trailer behind the ATV. It will be at very slow speeds and on level terrain. I have a few ideas for removable seats or benches, but would welcome any ideas. Remember the trailer hauls the ATV, so any seats must be removable - and can be stored in the back of a pickup.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Old 11-11-2003 | 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

The web is an amazing thing. I just found a light duty 2" ball with a 3/4" shaft instead of a 1"shaft. That question has been answered.

Old 11-11-2003 | 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I use a 8'x8' ATV trailer with ramps on both sides to drive on/off. It has an open back which allows me to haul my snow machines in the winter too. It easily holds 2 quads and a small dirt bike or 2 sleds plus alot of gear. I have to pull the sleds off the back but its not a big deal. Since the sides fold up I have even used it to set a small tent(8x8 or smaller) on the trailer. It beats laying directly on the ground. I have also used a big tarp over the top of the trailer to enclose it for camping.

Old 11-12-2003 | 01:32 PM
Trailblazer

I purchased a 16' x 6'6" tandem axle flat bed utility trailer a few months ago for about $1000. This was a big improvement from my single axle 9' x 5' trailer. I need something that was very versatile to haul toy's, farm equipment, hay, dirt, debris, etc... I have made some removeable wood sides for it. It can be loaded from the back or the sides. My neighbor gave me his old plastic pickup bed tool box which is great for hauling things when I go camping.

I saw in Dirt Wheels mag (I think) a while back an article of a custom built trailer made for hauling and camping. The tent was designed to fit on top of the trailer. He even built a small wood burning stove that fit on the tongue of the trailer.