Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda 450R review

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 450R review

The only problem I have now is convincing my wife I need 2 quads.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-11-2003, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

Kory Ellis has also done a review - although it contained little real content he did manage to say that in his opinion, stock for stock, the TRX ran stronger, but with the HRC vs GYTR kit the YFZ ran a little better (not surprizing since the YFZ kit contains a real pipe and costs a little more).

Keep in mind these statements also came from someone who has had a YFZ for quite a while now & someone who would love to be Yamaha's factory rider...

The big question is - since the TRX has so much "detuning" that Ridley and others have been rambling on about - what does that mean for the YFZ when the TRX owners start switching to higher compression pistons, titanium valves, open & tuned pipes, wilder cams, FCRs, etc - to "bring it up to stock YFZ spec"?

Mainly this post was intended to be a poke in the side to those that have been continually telling us since the TRX's unveiling how much better the YFZ is going to be, so don't get too upset [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

six of one / half dozen of the other.... Pick your color, shut up with your BS, and race!

Old 11-11-2003, 01:58 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

ATC, your right, I included a link to that review. Kory Ellis is going to be on a Honda 450R at Glen Helen in Feburary.
There is a review at another site, where a guy got to ride w/ Kory and Tim. He siad the handling is the best, just like a HONDA!

Old 11-11-2003, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

Easy there...

Again, I was just poking you in the ribs a bit...

It's funny though how you've changed your tune, I can round up quite a few posts where you were talking about HP & engine performance not handling (what is track readyness? These quads come in trim VERY comparable to each other, other than the fact that the real world weights of these quads will more than likely show the TRX to be lighter - from what I've heard, most people are weighing in the YFZ at 380/390 ready to ride - for comparison a 400EX is just under 400 ready to ride & the 400EX's engine weighs over 20lbs more than a CRF engine)... In fact, this is the first time I've seen you mention handling (Granted I don't follow the forums that closely anymore)...

I also like that you are selecting small points out of the article to capitalize on. Yes he said it had a lower center of gravity, but he also said that for taller riders it has a better peg to seat setup (I can easily fix minor ride height differences, I can't easily fix peg to seat relationship). He speculated that it will be easier to tune the rear shock for the aftermarket, but made no mention of the differences in shock action / suspension action of the two.

Take it easy, my point was maybe, just maybe the TRX isn't going to be "out of it's league" like many of you more venomous YFZ owners tend to portray.

These two quads will compete head to head & they're going to be close enough that it certainly isn't going to be the color of the plastic that determines who ends up with the wood at the end of the race.

Old 11-11-2003, 03:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me, if it wasn't close to the Yamaha it wouldnt be released. They are not going to be a for sure second place in this battle.

Old 11-11-2003, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

If anyone knows any other review articals from people who rode the 450r could you post a link to the website. Thanks.

Old 11-11-2003, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

I wish I could understand my friend who bought his 400ex...

I would have waited on the 450r if I were him.

Old 11-12-2003, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the 400ex is over a thousand dollars cheaper wich I'm sure had something to do with your friend's descision

Old 11-12-2003, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

1986atc250r:i'm sure Kory made those comments with his deal for his new TRX in front of him. anyways the shootout will read "these quads are so close...we feel the rider will make the diffrence" then the next release you'll read about is Yamaha bringing the YFZ to it full fighting weight a true 450cc. Poke..poke

reconranger: i thought Honda was advertising the TRX as a race ready machine...check out there ads. if they're backing away from those claims...i find that very interesting

i'm not sure what to make about the comments that the TRX is a detuned 450. they were quick to point out that it is not the 450 dirtbike engine. "it's new from the valve cover down" in fact thats the only interchangeable part.

sandneck: your right on man. the real review will be here. on this forum. by us. everything else is suspect. pro-riders...magazines...they all have their own agenda's.

bottom line: this is the year of the four wheeler. new big bore 4x4's & sport quads...track ready quads (thank you cannondale)...and a used quad market flooded with great machines. everyone should be happy. now if they would just stop making those pieces of s mini's and give the kids what they deserve.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-12-2003, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

Real reviews from real riders...YAAAA!!!

Quick Reply: Honda 450R review