Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

whats the better choice? 2 cents, please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the better choice? 2 cents, please!

well, even when i look at how much better the z seems to be on paper, i still think i want the 400ex... strange, maybe, but i dunno... i'll keep thinking....

Old 11-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

oh, i forgot... does anyone know of any good sites for reviews on either machine? or better yet a head to head comparison type thing? thanks again

Old 11-17-2003, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: RedGoblin
Originally posted by: WisconsinNugs
just wait until january to purchase the new trx450r
Did you actually read the original post or just felt like saying something? This guy is a beginner, the TRX450 would be great fun........until he killed himself.

That's the silliest thing I ever heard of. He'd be ok on an EX, but if he rides the 450R, he's gonna die. If he's smart enough to let off the throttle on an EX, he's smart enough to do the same on an R. Since the handling and suspension is so superior on the R, wouldn' that, in essence, make it a SAFER quad for a beginner?

C'mon, now, a few more ponies never hurt nobody.

Old 11-17-2003, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

well, having a few ponies would certainly be welcome[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]... HOWEVER, a few more ponies takes a few more bucks AND some patience, neither of which i have... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] oh well... 400ex is way better than nothing.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2003, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

in case i wasnt clear... i would need patience because i would need to wait til spring for the 450...

Old 11-17-2003, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

The EX is about $2-400 cheaper than the Z. You can buy a pipe with the money u saved and be just as fast as a Z, at the same time it will sound like a real bike. The Z in stock form sounds queer! (if u can hear it.). but you are a begginer and you will get stuck so reverse might be a good feature, for about 4 days till u learn how to ride...

Old 11-17-2003, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, thats basically what i was thinking... with the $ i save i can make it jsut as fast. and like i said earlier, i really don't think reverse is a big issue...

Old 11-17-2003, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

go with the honda its very reliable but performance wise the Z

Old 11-17-2003, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

I dont have a 400ex but i do see the appeal to it i am thinking of getting one I think of it as one of the last muscle quads where your power is all moter with the race restrictions at 450 cc we are going to see alot of quads with new features like fuel injection turbos and things we havent ever thought of to get more power from less moter kind of like what is going on now with everyone modding there civics
this may get alot of bad opinions but every one gets there own...

Old 11-17-2003, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

What's the big issue about the 400 or the 450? It doesn't matter what kind of CC's you've got underneath you, It will only go as fast as you make it.......I'm sure the 450(and I would love to have one) will blow the fenders off the 400, but unless you've got it wide open all the time, I would be willing to bet it can go just as slow as the 400 also......Comon sense and knowing what your capabilities are is the key factor here to me, not the size of the engine...............I really don't see what the big argument is here......Just use your head and not your ego when you ride......I'm sure there will be some who disagree but seriously, don't they both start and stop the same way????? It's up to the rider what it does in between.............................

Quick Reply: whats the better choice? 2 cents, please!