Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda's new 450 misses the mark

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Honda's new 450 misses the mark

boogerbub- bless your heart on building that TRX you have there. Now onto the issue at hand! I'm not knocking electric start so much as not having a back up of some sort. That magic button certianly does make a difference when seconds count. But let's be honest, you're out in the sticks- and either a good crash or the battery just goes out on ya- need to have some resort here. Take the Warrior- when it first came out it had electric start and backup recoil- but somehwere along the line they did away with the recoil and left ya with only the electric, and depending that battery. Utility quads still have a back up recoil, even the 250ex does, hmm but the 300ex doesn't..... Am I missing something or is it just me that disagrees with electric only starting?

Old 11-25-2003, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So do you like the 250 or are you being sarcastic, I can't tell. Anyway, like I said, not too long ago I would have been with you all the way. I thought if it didn't have a kickstart, it wasn't a real race machine. I also thought that having reverse automatically eliminated a quad from race status. But I guess I've just slowed down a bit since I got stationed here in Texas. In my area and the fact that I don't get out and ride nearly as much as I used to when I was in Vegas, the competition isn't so stiff in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, there are some guys with really nice quads and they can ride'em for sure. It's just that I don't see them very often. So to me, I really wanted the convenience and reliability of a 400ex in a full on race package. I have to say, it seems like they have came very close to this. But since I have a 250R and I have just recently aquired my old 426ex back from the guy I sold it to for a very cheap buy back, I'm just not that excited about the 450R. I now have both the best racer and the most dependable sport racer ever. I think I'll be happy with this combo for quite a while, like maybe two more months or so.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

JP

Old 11-25-2003, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

I think both machines will revolutionize the atv sport world. The only reason I chose they yfz over the other was basically that I'm closer to several yamaha dealers, and I wanted the elec. start. The sensation of kick starting a quad is a great feeling. But when I'm XC racing, objects have a tendancy to pop out and grab you causing you to stall before you can grab the clutch. Push the button and you only lose 2 seconds. Where if you have to reach, stand up, kick, and go, could take 15 sec. And if that engine is warm and killed in a higher rev, it's pure luck if it flies on the first kick. Even the elec, has to kick it over a couple of times before it growls to life again. Not to say one is better than the other, they both have their niche and will both be great quads to ride!

Old 11-26-2003, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

For the guy with the hurt leg, I read somewhere that a electric start was made for the crf450 dirtbike, and now the same company is making one for the trx. If you really want this quad it would be something to look into.