Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1999 Foreman 450ES Thoughts!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 03:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Foreman 450ES Thoughts!

I will be going to look at a 1999 Foreman 450ES shortly. I am just now opening my mind to purchasing a Honda ATV [had been looking at Polaris/Yamaha as thats what folks I run w/ all have]. Anyway, all I really now about this model is what I have seen in some earlier posts.

However, the 99's have now been out a few years....can anyone tell me the pros & cons on getting a used 99 450ES? The unit only has 250 miles on it, has most of the gear on it for a plow. The asking price is around 3999. Is that a resonable price assuming plastic, etc. is in exc. shape...?

I'm looking at using it mainly for plowing snow [1500' drive], pulling small trailers, and just casual riding....

Pls, if anyone can offer sound advice on the 99 model, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Old 12-11-2003, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Honda forman 450 ES is a great machine. MY cousin and uncle both have one with about 1,600 miles on them and they are running great. They are a solid machine seeing how they live in eastern kentucky where the moantinous terrain has the ability to tear them apart. Me and my friend went down this summer and put about 100 miles on them with no prob. For the price your going to get that, hell I wish i could get it. Your not going wrong there with that reliable machine. Pleasure to help. Have fun.

Old 12-11-2003, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input. I am rather cautious concerning the electric shift & full time 4wd in regards to reliability and ease of use.

Old 12-12-2003, 08:28 AM
Trailblazer

Looks like a good deal if it's in good shape. I recently purchased the '03 foreman S for $5700 otd and I have had no regrets on this machine. I have heard of few problems with e-shift from the people I have been riden with but nothing major or costly. As far a the full-time 4wd if you don't like it you can always invest in a warm 424 4wd select kit. for around $300. But the most important part is the test ride if it feels good and shifts smooth you shouldn't have any problems with it.

If you get bring it on down to Kentucky and we'll test it out. We have a few decent trails around here.

Old 12-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sometimes too little use is as bad as too much use. I put over 400 miles on my Foreman in the first month. If the '99 only has a couple hundred miles then it tells me that it was probably only used for plowing. (For the most part) Especially if it has some of the plow attachments. When you go to look at it, look at the environment it's been used in. Is it in a town? Do they keep it in a garage? If it only has a couple hundred miles on it then they might not have done normal maintenance to it in the last 4 going on 5 years. I would check the oil and see if it has any metal particles or is it just black? Haven't changed it if really black) Is the oil cloudy? (It might have water in it if cloudy. Because it's been driven through water or something.) I'd ride it and see if the drum brakes work correctly and are the drums all rusted? Are they the original owners? Are the tires worn down? (Which they shouldn't be.) You could take off the seat and open up the air filter box. Is the filter clean and oiled? There could also be a mouse nest in by the filter because of it sitting so long. Check the oil before you start it. This gives you a chance to feel the motor to see if the seller has been running it before you got there. (Might be hard starting or something so he found it neccesary to warm it up. Could need the valves adjusted.) Then start it and see if it starts right up. Does it sound good while running? Check the exhaust to see if it's in good shape. Also try out the ES and make sure it's working good. Look at the handle bars and it's components to make sure they have not been damaged. If it was rolled it might have a new speedo on it and would explain the low mileage.

If everything seems to be alright and you want to buy it. Before you go look up the resale price on NADA or KBB. I looked it up and it seems to be between $3600. and $3900. so I wouldn't pay anymore than $3900. and I'd offer $3600. and see what they say. Maybe they'll say yes or come back with another price. Just ask what their low price is.

The Foreman is a good quad as long as it's been taken care of. I would consider the 424 kit, maybe you'll get them down enough to make up for the price of the kit.

Old 12-12-2003, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

I'd not be shy about looking seriously at the Honda. Any experience I've had with Honda products have been positive in both quality and resale value. They are still among the lightest ATV's built, and some of the toughest. Don't worry too much about the low miles, but the maintenance records can be handy. Some really ana_ people like myself keep pretty accurate records of what was done and when. If you happen to luck into an owner like that, it is probably a good machine. I just picked up a 1996 400 Foreman myself very recently with nearly no miles on it. I'm a mechanic and do my own work whenever I can, and spent a few days going through routine maintenance with a service manual. If you're mechanically inclined and the machine is in good shape, don't be afraid of used vs. new. As far as suitability goes, my 400 pulls myself and GF, plus 350 lb utility trailer loaded with fenceposts, shovels, barbed wire and Go_ only knows what else with ease over soft ground, so the 450 won't have much trouble either. Full-time 4x4 can be tiring over a long day of riding, and the gas mileage isn't the greatest either on a long haul, but it's simpler than the alternative. I'd be cautious about the Yamaha/Polaris offerings (belt drive, primarily) for heavy plowing. I stayed away from them for that reason. Do I feel the heat of flames licking at me??
Shop carefully, and good luck...

Chilly

Old 12-12-2003, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

The Foreman series in general are about as durable a machine as there is to be had.

The biggest thing I would watch for, would be possible salt damage. It sounds like the machine was mostly used for plowing, which is no big deal if maintanence was done, but watch the frame, A-arms, and steering components for rust. If the guy plowed snow where they salted the roads, and then didn't wash the salt off, it can do lots of damage, not just in the form of rust, but damage to the wiring and electronics of the shift mechanism.

Trending Topics

Old 12-13-2003, 04:15 AM
Trailblazer

I had a 99 450es & hated it .It rode like a log wagen.The front shocks were junk.I put progressive's on it & it still beat me to death.That es is a nice idea but I then had two sore fingers.Hard to steer.Only buy a selectable 2wd 4wd.

Old 04-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

My 450 ES is a 99.It has 7400 km's on it.I just have to tap the start button and it's purring like a kitten.Great power and reliability.Yes,it's not the smoothest ride out there,but it's a work bike after all.

Old 04-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Trailblazer

i think that is way to high for a 99 foreman i know it has low miles but still you can go get an 04 model at lake hill motors in corinth mississippi for 4,450 about 450 dollars more and it ha slock in and out 4wd not all time. i know u might not live close but still!!

Quick Reply: 1999 Foreman 450ES Thoughts!