Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rusty Rancher AT...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty Rancher AT...

I purchased a 2004 Rancher AT about 4 months ago and I have been completely impressed with the performance of this ATV.
Let me start off by saying that I realize that ATV's are going to have some rust. It's just the nature of the beast. I owned a Rancher 350 and Yamaha 450 Auto prior to this one. But, after only 4 months, I am having some serious concerns about the amount of rust coming off of my AT. I took it to the dealer this week for normal service and he too was a little shocked by what he saw. He contacted Honda and they told him that rust is only cosmetic and that it was only covered for 45 days.
If you take a look at pre-2003 models, you'll notice that the welds on the racks are 100%, meaning there are no openings in the welds. The 2004 models are only welded across the top. The ends and bottom are left open. The paint does not completely cover the weld. Honda said they did this to cut costs. Every time I clean my AT, I have orange yuck coming out of the racks. The paint is already delaminating at these corners. I checked out a Rubicon and Rancher ES at the dealer yesterday to verify.
The worst signs are from the inside of the frame tubes on each side of the trunk in the rear of the AT. You can chip off large flakes of rust from inside the tube. What concerns me is that this is near the end, but what about down at the bottom of the frame where it isn't visible. Also, the corners of the rear A-arm have no paint at all and are completely exposed. The rust there is really bad.
Would some of you other 2004 Honda owners check out your ride to see if you're seeing the same thing? Maybe if enough people start compaining, Honda might decide to do something about it. I doubt it, but maybe they will step up to the plate. At the rate its going, within a year I should have a rusty hunk of junk. Probably won't get much when I trade it in on a Yamaha.

Thanks, ENIGMA206

Old 12-19-2003, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

you got to hate it when a company cheaps out on the product you got to trust. it would p1$$ me off to. and they wonder where the customer loyalty is. lets see, my money, why should i give it to this manufacture after this scam.

Old 12-30-2003, 05:50 PM
Trailblazer

I am at 6 months with my AT, and I have yet to notice any rusty water coming out after I clean it. I appreciate the heads up, and will check my racks out tonight to see if this is a problem with mine. But I still wouldn't be too quick on the trade to Yamaha. I have a close friend with a year old Kodiak who has had nothing but trouble with its carb. He's extremely disappointed, and is now looking at the Rubicon !

Old 12-31-2003, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer

Hey - I checked out my AT last night in the garage, and not a speck of rust. THe racks have end caps, but the underside end of the front, as well as the rear end, are open. I stuck my finger into all of them, and only came out with a cheap thrill (no rust). Now, I've never had it buried in water or mud to that level, nor have I sprayed any water into the ends to clean them, so I beleive they remain dry. I live in the north, where it's been snowing and an incredibly rainy season. The wheeler has been stored out in my shed, so it has been exposed to moisture, and it hasn't been a problem. Sounds like you recieved a lemon of sorts, but to be safe I'm going to find plugs for those end caps. Thanks for the warning.