Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Polaris, Honda, or a Kawasaki

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris, Honda, or a Kawasaki

I recently made a move from Honda to American made Polaris 600 Twin. What a mistake!!!!! What a piece of ____ the Polaris is. No bottom end what so ever. If you like backfiring, choking down, sputtering, and quiting constantly, have I got the bike for you. After taking it back to the dealer four times with no results, I'm done with it and trading for a Kawasaki 700, Honda Rincon, or a Honda Rubicon. I made a bad mistake but I'm going to fix it, so any advise on the above bikes would be appreciated. I got advise from people about Polaris but later found out, they had never owned anything but Polaris. What a bunch of idiots!

Old 01-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

I agree, polaris owners think all other things suck but polaris. I think you should get the praire 700 because on ATV tv they rated it the #1 quad of the year and in all the mags it wins all the shootouts.

Old 01-07-2004, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris guys are always trying to brag about their bikes being made in USA. Well fellas, they are all made in the USA. My Rincon says right on the frame "Honda of America". And they are made in North or South Carolina I believe. Polaris 1 cylinder engines are made by the Fugi motor company which is not in America. Not that it matters, it's just stupid to claim it's made in america and brag when it's really not.

Anyway, here are the differences.
Kawasaki 700 - Lots and lots of power in the V-twin engine. Sounds awesome, but has a loud whining noise coming from the belt some may like it but most don't. Solid rear axle makes for less ground clearance and a stiffer ride. Front locker can helps the front end get around when you want to do some mudding or whatever. Transmission is a belt CVT and I hear the belts run about $100 incase one ever goes out on you. Overall I think it would be a good atv if you dont mind a solid rear axle and a little stiffer ride.

Rincon - Not quite as powerful as the 700 v-twin, but the power is there. A true sport utility machine. This thing is super sport tuned. Mine can wheelie like a fool and it's tons of fun to ride through the trails fast or slow. Independant rear suspension makes for a soft plush and smooth ride. The handling on this thing is great and will powerslide if wanted, the suspension is also very sport tuned and isn't the best for pure utility. The egronomics on the Rincon are great, when you sit on it and ride it you don't want to get off it's so comfortable. It holds it's own at utility work but won't do quite as well as the Rubicon or Kawasaki at pure utility use. It's an all around really fun bike! It also has the great Honda quality and fit & finish.

Rubicon - Not as powerful as either of the above atvs, but does well. The transmission is awesome, engine breaking is the best of all the automatic transmissions. Unfortunately they haven't put Traxlock on it yet so it's full time 4wd. It's a pretty good machine and is a little on the sporty side but not as much as the other two. Honestly, the only thing the Rubicon holds to the others is the awesome transmission it has. It can probably do pure utility work better than the Rincon, but still not as well as the Kawasaki. It too has those great Honda egronomics.

Old 01-07-2004, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer

RINCON all the way. I have owned several bikes and rincon is a exellent machine!!! VERY well rounded for different types of people. Just read the posts. Do a search on rincon for a good idea of the bike

Old 01-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your crummy ATV. A good friend of ours has a SP600 and it has been a trouble free ATV and he is more than 100% satisfied with it. He has no regrets and loves it.

The three ATV's you listed are all very different from each other. I think you need to evaluate what you want from an ATV and ride all three.

We have a 2001 Rubicon with 4000 miles on it. Zero problems. The only new ATV manufactured today tat we would trade it for would be a brand new Rubicon. A red one with the GPScape. The Rubicon has the greatest transmission of any ATV out there. High range, low range, Drive 1, Drive 2, and ESP in both hi and low. One more minor thing, no reverse over-ride and will start in all gears except reverse. We ride mostly in the Rocky Mountains and it carries over 400 lbs everywhere effortlessly. For us, the Rubicon is the best one out there. Perfect trans, perfect ergonomics, king of stability and the master of 4-wheel engine braking. This ATV was built for the mountains and loves to be worked.

Old 01-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

Just because you have problems with one polaris you think they are pieces of crap.... Thats more retarded than anything i've ever heard because believe it or not all quads have problems. It's just like cars people think because one car has problems they are all pieces of crap. I have never had any problems with polaris but have had problems with others and it doesn't make me say they are peices of crap. It all depends on how well they are maintained. So quit knockin other brands just because you had a problem with one polaris.

Old 01-08-2004, 01:13 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He did the right thing. If you buy a certain brand and it is junk, you would be a fool to buy the same brand. Im grateful for people like him who tell oftheir experience. Good ones and bad ones. He is not the only one letting people know what junk polaris has put out. Ya ya every manufacturer has had its problems. It sure seems thatr polaris has had the majority though. Go back to polaris land.

Old 01-08-2004, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

yes yellowrincon is right, they are always bragging about there bikes, you cant go into the polaris forum and say 1 bad thing, or else the you will never hear the end of it. and they dont stop, its funny how they try to put our jap bikes down for being better..lol.if you say one bad thing they get all pissy and defensive. you cant even go in there and say "your qaud is a funny color" or they will be like"why you bashin man!" sorry about the bike that you bought, you live and you learn i guess, i made the same mistake by buyin a polaris i know how you feel.

Old 01-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Trailblazer

ive used to own a sp600 and never had a problem with it, and u say that it doesnt have bottom end , u need to go back to school and learn what is bottomend power. Now that ive bought a p700, yes it does ahve more power but my sp600 was more reliable then my kawy.Im not saying that a dont like my p700 but my last polaris was very reliable and i own a pred too and the only problem i got a recal on the frame and was replaced for free with a newer and stronger frame, now thats customer service. MY front shock mounts and my prairie cracked on 1 side and the other was broken completely off, riding the same way as on my sp. And i had to pay the labor to fix my prairie. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2004, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

And now my prairie wont start

Quick Reply: Polaris, Honda, or a Kawasaki