Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Stock 400EX Rear Axle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2000, 10:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I was riding today I noticed that my 2000 400EX seemed to be handling a little twitchy at higher speeds, and upon checking it out found that the rear axle is a tad bit tweaked on each side causing both of my rear tires to wobble slightly. It's not much but enough to notice, and I'm wondering how much bend...tolerance wise...is too much. As best as I can guess, each side is only about an 1/8 inch from being perfectly straight. Also, has anyone had any experiences with dealers regarding bent rear axles? Any luck getting it replaced under warranty? Let me know...

Old 06-29-2000, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

Well, if they won't replace it for you, they're only about $80 brand new....

If the bike is still under warranty they are pretty good about replacing stuff, a particularly destructive friend has had them replace a swingarm, front shock, bent rear wheels (he is the master, I don't know how he talked them into that), etc....

They may frown upon replacing a bent axle, obvious abuse comes to mind, but then again they replaced obvious abuse items on my friends.

Old 06-29-2000, 01:43 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the advice Gabe...

I would have a problem with it being considered abuse though, as the 400EX is Honda's premier sport ATV, and unless I was officially racing it or crashed into a big rock or tree, I think it should hold up to most kinds of spirited riding. I can't think of what could have caused it though...I do ride kinda hard from time to time...but I'm not a serious jumper and might have gotten a whopping 4-5 feet of air once. Guess we'll have to see what the dealer has to say... I do have an advantage of having two dealers nearby, so maybe one of them will warranty it if the other doesn't.

Back to my original question though... I can tell both sides are bent, but how much should be considered too much? Also, if I replace the axle myself, is there anything else I need to know? Should I replace the bearings also?

Old 07-01-2000, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer

I have a perfectly straight one I would sell cheap. I do know that according to Durablue if the axle is bent more than 3/16th's of an inch they don't try to straighten it they replace it.