Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

RUBICON/KAWASAKI

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2000 | 12:24 PM
|
Range Rover

Last weekend I drove a new KVF 300 auto. Anyhow I noticed that the thing seemed like it was not able to transfer 60% of its power to the ground. It was like driving a manual shift quad with a 50 year old worn out clutch. I was hoping someone could please tell me if the Ruby is the same slugish over reving beast. I really hope not because I was thinking of purchasing one but if it is anything like the Kawi I will definitely not buy one. I did find the Kawi to ride nice though and I'm not bashing it but it's definitely not for me I like to hit the gas and feel the torque. Anyways thanks for your help in clearing this up I'm sure others are wondering to.

Proud Owner: 98 Honda Foreman 450ES
99 Honda 400EX

Old 06-29-2000 | 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

I heard that the new trany is wonderful and plush, they said that this machine is a torque animal and not a fast demend. Just telling you that honda wondn'tcome out with a big 500cc engine that wouldn't send all the power to the wheels.

Old 06-29-2000 | 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

I have not seen an auto yet that puts the power to the ground like a manual ship. They all have plenty of low end torque but acceleration is not there like a manual. Before I upgrade from my honda 300 4X4, we were at Wolfpen. I raced a SP335 on a flat surface and we were about even. We raced up a steep mountain several hundred yards and it was even close. I know he was pulling more weight but I don't think that was the only varible.

Automatics work to balance the need to produce torque with the need to maintain an acceptable RPM. If you set your auto up with a heavy spring, it would not engage until you reved the bike higher. This would produce more power, but do you want to have top rev the bike up all the time to go down the trail. The opposite, of course would happen if you lightened the spring. So, I hope this helps you to understand why it felt sluggish to you. Most belt driven bikes are only running at a fraction of their low end potential, because of this balance. If you want an all out racer, you can do wonders with this set up. Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to ythe Rubicon.

Greg

Old 06-29-2000 | 07:54 PM
TG1
Pro Rider

I was wondering how many people have actually ridden the Rubicon? A lot of people are claiming it’s the greatest machine ever made. What’s all this based on? Because Honda finally made a big bore, or because it’s the newest quad. Time will tell if Honda has really hit the mark. Just me venting…

Old 06-29-2000 | 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Well all that I can say is im getting the honda rubicon next month so I can up dat anybody than,
for now knowone can say anything just because this atv just came out except TxDoc2.

Old 06-29-2000 | 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

On the acceleration of the auto-you better have a good hold on it cause it accerates and just keeps accelerating with no hesitation or jerking. My stock 300 manual shift feels like a Cessna against a LearJet. You can select optimal engine torque or optimal engine HP, or you can use the ESP program and shift gears while holding the throttle down. I have no appreciable experience with other bikes, so I cannot compare. But, I have plenty of power and torque to satisfy me now. If you have not ridden it, I think you will be surprised.

Old 06-29-2000 | 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have used Grizzlys, 5-speed and automatic Kodiaks, Fourtrax utilitys, Polaris Sportsman, and Arctic Cats on the family ranch. This is my opinion made from running and building fence, chasing cattle, retrieving elk, trail riding, etc. The Kodiak automatic is the best all-around; the Fourtax were the best put-together; the Polaris was the plushest; the Arctic Cats had unreal power; the Grizzly is strong but heavy.
I have a Rubicon - maneuvers my 21' camp trailer easily, runs down the road great, rides great, has good power, versatile with the ESP and D2. I don't use D1 often. In 1-1/2 weeks with it, it has about 60 hours. I think Honda hit a homerun and will give the Kodiaks a run for their money out here. Time will tell with heavy work, but the oldest Fourtrax we use is an '86. It still runs great, is just down on power and comfort compared to the rest.
We haven't used a Bombardier although I would like to. They look very impressive on paper.

Old 06-29-2000 | 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

TxDoc2 reply to me at the post that you made [outlaws pics and weights].