Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher AT Plowing Snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 12:58 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher AT Plowing Snow

I finally have 17 miles on my Rancher AT. All of it pushing snow. I noticed several times after shifting the auto lever into Neutral, the Rancher would start reviving on its own. I would lean down and turn down the Idle ****.

I know it is not broken in yet. I am also have some problems getting the auto shifter to go into forward and reverse, and sometimes the lights do not change. Must be some minor adjustment. Any ideas.

This thing was pushing snow with a County Cycle 48" blade. We had over 12 inches of snow, with 2 -3 foot drifts. This thing pushed snow like no ones business. I put it in 4 wheel drive and and automatic. I cleared three driveways and tons of sidewalks.

Old 01-27-2004, 07:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Rancher. I have 40 miles on my new Rancher. I don't plow with it. I would suggest using your esp mode every once in awhile to help break in your gears. Not sure if I would plow in auto. I haven't experienced any of your probs. It is a very nice machine. Wish I could give ya some more help. This is my first atv and really don't have much experience with them. I'd take it back to the dealer though. Junky...............

Old 01-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Range Rover

This is my first ATV also. I just wished I had gone out and played with it before the snow hit. No enough time.

I think things are a little stiff because of newness and the cold weather. It was 10 degrees yesterday with windchill of 10 below zero.

I need to get it out on the trail and give it a few days to work itself.

Old 01-27-2004, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: FishingJunky
Hey Rancher. I have 40 miles on my new Rancher. I don't plow with it. I would suggest using your esp mode every once in awhile to help break in your gears. Not sure if I would plow in auto. I haven't experienced any of your probs. It is a very nice machine. Wish I could give ya some more help. This is my first atv and really don't have much experience with them. I'd take it back to the dealer though. Junky...............
It's junky???? I don't know what your idea of a quality machine is then. Hondas last longer than anything else PERIOD.

Old 01-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

No, Red, his handle is FishingJunky, shortened to junky LOL

Rancherat400, you may just be experiencing effects of tightness from not being broke in yet.
When I got my TM last fall, it didn't want to shift for the first 20 hours or so, but after about
50 hours is has become very easy and very smooth at shifting. Some do it , some don't.

Plowing wasn't the best way to break-in a bike., however. Mighty heavy loading on a new engine and drive train. I would think it would be a good idea to use ESP mode when plowing, as Junky says, to even out the wear-in proccess, and keep it from shifting when not wanted. I do all my plowing in first, except when plowing
my neighbors long driveway, then I can hit 2nd if the snow isn't too deep.

If it persists with shifting problems, take it back to the dealer.

Old 01-27-2004, 06:58 PM
Range Rover

I just got in from plowing snow. I tried the ESP, what power. I never got going fast enough to go into 2nd. But my dealer said not to plow in anything but automatic, but I believe he is wrong. I love pushing with ESP.

I had my 4 foot blade down on the skids and was pushing snow that was 12-18 inches deep. It would fly over the blade and I would re-plow the area. What a machine. It has plenty of power. I though I was stuck once in 4wd, slid back alittle. I weigh 325, and with the blade on the front, that machine pulled through like a champ. I imagine the blade plate and assembly is another 100 lbs.

I have no complaints. I do have a low tire. I need to get them aired up again. What is the best inflation 3.6 or 4lbs?

I am new at this and appreciate all your comments. It has 7.6 hours on it and 19 miles, hope to this thing last awhile. I am driving it like I own it. LOL

Old 01-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

Here is another little tip: If you are going to be doing a lot of plowing, get a Heat Fighter Kit from HighLifter.com. It might just save your engine. BUT, don't put it in until after your first service.
My Rancher overheats when plowing a long time, I ordered the Heat Fighter kit Mon. on advice
of a good friend who is an ATV/motorcycle mechanic.

Old 01-27-2004, 07:14 PM
Range Rover

How much do they run and where do you install them. What do they do exactly. My engine exhaust pipe out of my engine is golden,red,and blue is this normal

Old 01-27-2004, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

They are $70 plus shipping. Consists of oil treatment for aiding in heat transfer to the head fins and case, a heat retaining wrap for the exhaust pipe, to keep heat from radiating into the head. They claim a 60 degree
reduction in cylinder head temp. My mechanic friend says it works. www.highlifter.com

It is not too unusual for an exhaust pipe to discolor right at the head.