Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Any one use an FMF Q silencer on 400EX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one use an FMF Q silencer on 400EX?

Hey guys, wondering what people who are primarily woods riders like I am think of the Q as far as sound level compared to stock and power. I am currently using a TC race exhaust, high comp piston, 929 TC MX cam, stock air box and filter. What do you guys think, looking for less noise. TC says I may not have quite the power, any thoughts?

Old 01-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Range Rover

My buddy has one on his raptor. I haven't heard real great things about them though.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

TCAXIS400EX-My wife uses the fmf-q on her 440 ex and it is very quiet and gives good overall performance gains although the top end with the q is not the best.If you ride mostly woods then you will probably like the q because it is very strong in the midrange and is quiet at (92 decibels) and it also has a very strong bottom end.You will not have the peak power at maximum rpm levels like you would get out of a less restrictive pipe but you also will not have to deal with extreme noise levels. If you switched to a k&n air filter and jetted up appropriately you could gain back a lot of the power difference between what you have now and the fmf pipe.

Old 01-30-2004, 09:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Duneit:

Thanks for the input. My only concern is the cam may want to breathe better. Do you think jetting may be an issue? I am quite sure the TC race pipe has more flow and so the Q may make it run a little rich. What do YOU think? Thanks again.

Old 01-30-2004, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am currently running a fmf powerbomb header and a q series muffler. I did have to re-jet. I am still "messing around" with it tho. I gained considerable top-end but lost some bottom end. Anyway, the muffler is real quiet from idle to about 1/2 throttle then gets considerably louder. I'm pretty happy with the whole set-up.

Old 01-30-2004, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

TCAXIS400EX-Jetting on the ex is so simple that i would not be too concerned about it.Many of the pipes that are out there will do very well if they are allowed to utilize the top 30% or so of the rpm range but how often especially in woods riding do you get that far into the rpms? not too often i would bet.As i stated before the fmf-q would do very well in a woods riding situation and as long as you take the time to get the right main jet in ,you will not see that much of a gain as long as you run your air box lid so that is something to keep in mind.(CassCor)-You should be getting just the opposite results that you say you are with the fmf -q and power bomb header with regards to where the power comes on.As an example i will tell you that on my wifes 11:1 440 ex we run a main jet size of (170-172) and it has great bottom end and midrange but because it is a restrictive pipe it loses some on the top end.My wife and me make about 35 to 40 dune trips a year so we have a lot of time to experiment with what works best and the q-and power bomb header does a great job when allowed to breathe with a open air box and when jetted properly.I am not doubting what you say about your quads performance but if you seem to have lost bottom end then something is not right and it is probably your jetting.

Old 02-02-2004, 08:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yea, I agree. When I bolted the pipe and muffler on, I also installed a K&N filter. I changed the main jet to what K&N recommended and adjusted the clip but it didn't run right, so I installed the next size smaller(i think, its been a while). Anyway, I was so anxious to ride it I stopped tinkering with it at that point. Its pretty hard to explaing what its doing. If I start into an obstacle and I am in too high of a gear and its "boggs down", I then down shift and nail the throttle, it falls on its face. Almost like its wanting to foul the plug. Anyway, I am going to tinker some more on it when the snow melts.

Old 02-02-2004, 10:09 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My FMF PowerCoreIV got messed up in a crash this weekend. I just might replace it with the Q, seeing we have a new 96dB sound limit here in Calif.

What is the difference in performance between the Q, and just running a "quiet core" on some other performance pipe?????