Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

KF 2004 TRX450R and CRF450R Engine Parts Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KF 2004 TRX450R and CRF450R Engine Parts Comparison

If you are going to quote me, how about reading the quote in the first place.

As for your first paragraph, I asked for facts or articles, not ANECDOTAL opinions. Anecdotal = atv owners opinions, which is what you listed as a reference in your first paragraph. You clearly missed it.

Your second paragraph, again, is opinion. A second misfire.

Your final paragraph is your opinion, without supporting data. Strike three.

Handling, experiences with the reliability of a ATV, etc, owner's opinions are great learning tools.

What you are given out is your Hypothesis. You may in fact have great knowledge in certain areas, tribology would not be one of them.

Old 02-20-2004, 11:34 AM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: rally
tribology would not be one of them.
My experience with tribology is:

Taking the wrench to the drain bolt as in lefty loosie, righty tighty and changing the oil a lot and making sure its full on the oil dip stick.

Most of the time owners will get rid of the quad before you have an oil related problem.

Chet R.

Old 02-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: rally
If you are going to quote me, how about reading the quote in the first place.

As for your first paragraph, I asked for facts or articles, not ANECDOTAL opinions. Anecdotal = atv owners opinions, which is what you listed as a reference in your first paragraph. You clearly missed it.

Your second paragraph, again, is opinion. A second misfire.

Your final paragraph is your opinion, without supporting data. Strike three.

Handling, experiences with the reliability of a ATV, etc, owner's opinions are great learning tools.

What you are given out is your Hypothesis. You may in fact have great knowledge in certain areas, tribology would not be one of them.
its odd that you criticize my statements when I call upon the opinions of others on this forum. Yet your proof is nothing but the opinions of others as well, with a few experiments thrown in for good measure. This forum is made up of many engine builders. They all do what they think is best for thier machines, and this is what they have been doing. If you really want some hard proof you can look at, the only place I can think of off the top of my head is mototuneusa.com. while this guy may not be on with everything, he has done a lot of testing to back up his claims. And if you are going to try to sound smarter than me, like in your last line of text, at least use proper english, it will get your remarks accrossed much smoother.

EDIT: I will however make the distinction that I do not have personal knowledge of the tribology oil at hand. I am simply speaking on synthetics as a whole. I believe there is a form of Mobil 1 which many of the forum members here use and have had good experience with. To each their own. The best setup would be one like that of the crf bikes, as they have separate engine and transmission oil cases.

Old 02-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

First off, you are wrong in asserting I used opinions for my position that synthetic oils are fine for new engines. The sources I listed used scientific tests, not opinions. You have failed to realize, which I stated in my first post, that ANECDOTAL information is not helpful. Next time, read the post before you reply.

Second, I guess Porsche, Ferrari, GM w/ Corvettes, etc. can stop using synthetic oils in their new automobiles. They can save their millions in their testing and research and follow your advice. Why because you said so. Their automobiles come from the factory with synthetics. So maybe, just maybe, they know something you don't and feel synthetic oils work well in new engines.

Third, attacking my posts for inaccuracies in grammar, after reading your posts, is like Custer taking on the Indians.

Finally, if you can find any information from a scientific source which supports your position, please post it and stop with the attacks.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:44 PM
RIP Dear Friend

You know what I did in a SHORT.

Just mix your own oil like I do and stop worring about all these ANECDOTAL tidbits.

Just mix some dino oil with synthetic and get the best of both worlds.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Chet,
Can you move your push mower away from the car? It's making me nervous that it might scratch the car. The one mower looks very close. j/k