Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Foreman ES or Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foreman ES or Rubicon

I know I should have posted this in the "Buying an ATV" section but I figured I'd get more responses here. I'm looking at buying a Honda and can't decide on these two. I'd like the extra power of the Rubicon but don't think i'd like the all time 4wd. What are your opinions?

Also, how is the hondamatic trans, reliable? I'm with the thinking that the more hi-tec something is the easier it'll go wrong. How does the Foreman's semi-auto trans work, is it just like a manual except you push a button instead of using a foot peg?

How is the acceleration on these two quads?

Thanks guys!!!!

Old 03-01-2004, 04:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There are two reasons to buy a Foreman 450 over a Rubi. 1. They are cheaper. 2. Switchable 4x4. How many reasons are there to buy a Rubi over a 450. 1. larger motor 2. Auto + ES 3. More suspension travel. It comes down to what things are most important to you. Probably others can think of more pros and cons.

The ES and foot shift are basically the same idea. One you do with your toe and the other you do with your thumb. Some people like to be able to shift without having their toes in the mud. (dainty) j/k. So they can lift them up and shift with the ES. I like to have things as simple as possible so there is less to go wrong. Footshift.

The 450 is geared low in 1st and 2nd. Third is where you start to accelerate. Not sure how the Rubi accelerates.

I like to be able to shift in and out of 4x4. If you really want a rubi then maybe a dealer would throw a Warn 424 in to close the deal. At least they could put it on for free.

Old 03-01-2004, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

My brother bought his 450s over the Rubi since it had the 2x4 /4x4 option and he didn't like the big lever on the front of the rubi with the warn (or the cost) He now says that if the 400at was available he would have gotten it. I think the at is a lil small. The 450 is prolly tbest all around machine on the planet.

Old 03-01-2004, 06:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Doesnt matter which one you buy, youll come in last place in a race. They are both on the ute side of sport/utility, and are good ,dependable workers, but not racers. Its definetly more fun to have the 2wd option on the foreman, doing donuts, powersliding, and messin around.
Both are reliable, but problems arent unheard of.
The rubi has water cooling, which may or may not be a plus(more wieght ,more maintanence).
If you havent riden manual shift quads before, or have a wife or son who wants to drive, you might want to go auto. Most guys get the hang of upshifting and downshifting, but i know my wife doesnt want to deal with it, and preferrs autos.

Old 03-01-2004, 09:58 PM
Range Rover

The 450 is prolly the best all around machine on the planet. it is RELIABLE as the old 300s

Old 03-02-2004, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys. You're not making my decision any easier. They both sound like good machines. I'm not worried about coming in first in the race (my buddy's 660 gizz will do that) but I don't want a slouch either. I'm sure they've got enough power to get up and have some fun though.

Still haven't decided..........

Old 03-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We bought our Rubicon simply because of the transmission. Everything else was a bonus. You do need to ride them both because they are two completely different ATV's.

Old 03-03-2004, 04:29 PM
K2
Trailblazer

I have a Rubicon and ride with two 450s with foot shifter. I originally fell for the 450, wife wanted the auto Rubi - women know best I suppose.

As some have mentioned, the Rubi tranny is excellent, no need for shifting with your foot in the mud or thumb shifting when your hands are full holding onto something (throttle on right, thumb shifter on left - can't hold anything if needed). I became very aware of the difference between the auto vs. manual tranny when running a trail behind a 450. As we started climbing a hill, I almost ran him over as he had to downshift and lost speed. I just gave it more throttle and it wanted to keep going up.

Neither will pull your arms off for acceleration - not built for it. The 450 is understandably slower off the line with shifting through the lower gears and the Rubi will blow past it on an open road. Full-time 4wd has not bothered me, however, I can understand you may not always need it and it could be a nice option. Engine braking on the Rubi far exceeds any quad I've been on. Descending a steep grade, I actually have to give it gas, not breaks. Engine breaking works well on the 450s obviously when downshifted into lower gears. The 450s are reliable and have been trouble-free since my friends got them in 98. My Rubi is an 01 and has had no problems either.

Standard comment... try them both - and not just in a dealer parking lot.

Old 03-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all of the responses guys. Here's what I'm going with:.....(drum roll) the Rubi and I'm having them install the Warn 424 before I pick it up on Sat. Man I am PUMPED!!!!!!!!!! This is my first quad and I'm sick of having fun on other peoples bikes (not to mention breaking my back draggin deer out of the woods).

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!

Old 03-03-2004, 08:14 PM
Range Rover

You made a good choice .Both are great utility machines but the hydrostatic transmission makes the rubicon a better choice for most people.I especially like the super smooth power delivery of the rubicon when hauling or dragging heavy loads.