Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Warn winch installation on an '04 rubicon. Assistance needed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn winch installation on an '04 rubicon. Assistance needed!!!!

Sparky, I am new to this forum and also just purchased a warn 2500 for my 05 Rancher AT. I couldn't tell by your explanation above about were you mounted you wire contactor. Did you install it on the Inside or Outside of your tool box? My instructions state to install it on the Outside of the box on the back right side? The instructions also recommend mounting it in a dry area? Obviously it would be much easier for me to install it on the outside, but it would never be dry? I also use the toolbox space for carrying stuff? What is your recommendation?

Old 04-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Trailblazer

Hello all, I have a 2000 rancher. I didn,t want to drill holes in the tool box. I mounted the solenoid high up under the front plastic. I tapped into the hot wire from the accessory outlet. I put anti-oxide paste on all connections. This helps keep the moisture out. It's been that way for 1.5 years with no problems. I've been in water up to the plastic with no problems. Took me awhile to figure out where to mount it...considered the tool box, but wires were too short. Tried to mount near the air box, but not enough room. Didn,t want to drill holes in the air box either. Finding a good spot was the longest part of the installation. Hope this helps.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

When the cable runs from the bottom, it has a tenancy to lift the machine, instead of just pulling it forward.

Old 04-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Trailblazer

I have mounted a warn 2.5 on a 03 rancher and the hot wire I used was the GREEN wire coming from the cigarette plug. It was very easy to access. The was the wire that was recommended by my local shop. Some people will tell you that it is the pink wire but I am telling you that the guy from the shop told me that honda uses green for their hot wires. I am not sure if there are other colored hot wires but the green ones are definitely green. Plus, there are only two wires coming from the aux. plug so just choose the green one.

Old 04-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

On my 05 Rubicon I spliced into the pink wire comming from the ignition. The wire is hot when the key is on and cold when the key is turned off. That's all you need.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just successfully installed my warn winch this weekend and I followed "12pointbuck"s suggestion on using the green wire off of the utility plug. I am not an electrician! It did not work, so I asked my friend and he told me that the green wire is usually a ground wire and he told me to use the "White" wire instead. (There are only 2 wires comming from the utility pluge - white & green) I undid the splice from the green and redid it on the white wire and it worked fine. I have an 05 rancher 400 at. Just wanted to let everyone know. 12pointbuck, mabey your wires were installed differently????

Old 04-25-2005, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

so I asked my friend and he told me that the green wire is usually a ground wire and he told me to use the "White" wire instead
Wow, sheer luck white was positive. On the other hand, it only made sense if the green didn't work. Green may be ground (or bare) as a rule of thumb with AC, but not DC. Is your negative battery cable green?

Old 04-25-2005, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi quad, i installed my contactor inside the tool box,sealed with silicone. the instructions i got said to put it under the back fender on in the air box. both of them seemed to be not the way to go. its goin to get wet there. the tool box is perfect for this. i've been in water up to the seat, and no problems at all. i bought a carrier for the back of my quad for tools and other stuff from cabelas. that takes care of all the junk i carry on long rides. take care