Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450R losing power

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450R losing power

Originally posted by: Speedbump
After about 15-20 minutes of riding my r starts to lose power and eventually dies. All fluid levels are correct, air filter is clean, gas is new. This is still on the original tank of gas that the dealer put in it. I rode it with no problems during the break in period but now it is losin power and wont rev. Has anyone had this prob. or can you think of anything I could check before takin it to the dealer. Also it seems to be getting HOT, the warning light has not came on but it just seems to me that its getting hotter than it should. Please help, i want to ride it not repair it already!!!
should of bought a yammy

Old 04-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Yamaha4eva
Originally posted by: SpeedbumpAfter about 15-20 minutes of riding my r starts to lose power and eventually dies. All fluid levels are correct, air filter is clean, gas is new. This is still on the original tank of gas that the dealer put in it. I rode it with no problems during the break in period but now it is losin power and wont rev. Has anyone had this prob. or can you think of anything I could check before takin it to the dealer. Also it seems to be getting HOT, the warning light has not came on but it just seems to me that its getting hotter than it should. Please help, i want to ride it not repair it already!!!
should of bought a yammy
LOL...Yamaha4eve is riding an 01 Raptor and making fun of another quad...LMAO!
Speedbump....have you checked too make sure coolant is in the quad? This could easily happen too a new quad.

Old 04-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Speedbump
After about 15-20 minutes of riding my r starts to lose power and eventually dies. All fluid levels are correct, air filter is clean, gas is new. This is still on the original tank of gas that the dealer put in it. I rode it with no problems during the break in period but now it is losin power and wont rev. Has anyone had this prob. or can you think of anything I could check before takin it to the dealer. Also it seems to be getting HOT, the warning light has not came on but it just seems to me that its getting hotter than it should. Please help, i want to ride it not repair it already!!!
Guys this sounds FISHY...he may be a POlaris or Yamaha Junky thats playing with you all, My buddies Polaris 500 Preddy over heats if he rides it real hard it starts to push out coolant but they said it's normal it won't hurt anything and as for the other honda 450R rider that his buddies boil when rides and fan doesn't kick on get it checked your temp sensor is probably bad.

P.S. speedbump were are your picks??????????????????????????

Old 04-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Range Rover

Thanks to all that replied with commonsense. To those that thought I was a pretender or needed to buy a yamaha quit trippin.
The problem turned out to be residue from the tank was clogging my jets. I cleaned them with PJ1 parts cleaner and installed an inline fuel filter. I thought the tank was not molded together but was seamless, i say bs. Anyhow I was able to ride for the first extended period of time. I rode for three hours in the hills by the Eddieville track and was amazed by the power and handling of the quad. I owned an 86 250r prior to this and I disagree with all who say the 250 is better. My 450 would run circles around my old r.

Hozed, the dealer said that in order to break in the motor I needed to complete three heat cycles of about 15 minutes each. That is how I still had the original tank of gas in it. The Honda fan doesnt kick on to often, mine only came on once in the three hours I rode. The dealer said this is normal.

I will be posting pics within the next few days for all those who doubt me. Its nothin special just a stock 450r, so I wasnt in a hurry.