Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

A lesson learned...quad riders please read.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2000, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

azrob..i liked that the number 2..

2) If there aren't other ATV tracks on the path than don't chance it.

lol, someone has to blaze the trail!!

Old 08-02-2000, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

Hah, you think that sheet-metal your car is made of will hold up at ALL in a rollover? Nope, sure won't, it will most likely cave in and crush your head. But, you probably agree that the odds of you getting into a rollover in your car are next to zero. So what makes an ATV so different?

If you are a slow putt-putt rider on smooth trails/roads, what do you suppose the odds are of getting bucked off? Pretty slim.

It's not ignorant to ride without a helmet, in certain situations. However, it IS ignorant and closed minded to say that EVERYONE should ALWAYS wear a helmet while riding an ATV.

It is always good to prepare for the worse case situation. However, would you wear a helmet whenever you drive your car, or fly a plane, or drive the lawn tractor, just in case?

Old 08-02-2000, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

"lol, someone has to blaze the trail!!"

emphasis on BLAZE! haha

Old 08-02-2000, 11:42 AM
Range Rover

Motorhead,

A car has more than sheetmetal protecting it from a roll over. An ATV has nothing above you.

There have been deaths reported by the NHTSA in a car at speeds as low as 8 MPH. Seems like at that speed you wouldn't get hurt, right.

I would say follow your local laws. Here in Texas the law states you have to wear a helmet. The more people see riders who do not wear them, the more our land disappears.

Old 08-02-2000, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

Jeez! I've never done anything so silly now, have I? If you ride double on public land out here in California and get caught, one of you will walk back with a $175 ticket in your pocket. Double without helmets? Add $125! You're up to 3 bills now, EACH! I've done both but haven't been caught. Don't do it anymore though. Crashes hurt and I've been hurt along with my wife. We still ride and will continue to do so as long as we can, but when you're old like me, you don't heal quite so fast anymore.
The thing that really concerns me. .. . Do you have insurance? If you (or your girl) get hurt, who's gonna pay for it? I sincerely hope you won't go after the manufacturer. Get insured before you get in a wreck.

Old 08-02-2000, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

"There have been deaths reported by the NHTSA in a car at speeds as low as 8 MPH. Seems like at that speed you wouldn't get hurt, right."

There have been reports of spontaneous human combustion as well, but that doesn't mean I'm going to carry a fire extinguisher with me everywhere I go.

Your right, if the law calls for it, then you might as well wear the helmet. No reason to get a big fine for something like that. However, if it's not against the law, I'd say it's fine to make your own judgement call about when a helmet is necessary.

Have you seen those farmer ATVs that have the weed sprayer tanks on them? Do you suppose farmer joe always needs to wear a helmet when he's out spraying weeds in his field? Hmmm

Old 08-02-2000, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

I was born and raised in San Diego...I rubbed elbows with Mr.P. Jones at Riverside...Done the Clamis thing..hillclimed in Santee ..El Cajon area..and been upsidedown in Baja...I m REALLY glad I did this in late 60's/early 70's before all the "what if" people took over.If all anyone is worried about is who will pay if I or some one I know gets hurt "they" should take up a more seditary sport...or learn to play a musical instrument...Before we got the lawyers invoved life was much more fun and way cheaper.Before someone starts flaming away..yes I have seen several people injured severly...and at least 3 deaths ..this should be a reminder to "live each day" fully..
Everyone who played in southern Calif. problably has similar stories...If it cost so much to ride double and without a helmet..all of us who protested in the early 70's got too comfortable.

Old 08-02-2000, 09:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've got to get in on this one. Do I ride with a helmet? Yep, 98% of the time. Do I like a helmet? Nope, 98% of the time. Have I needed a helmet? Yep, at least thee times - probably would'nt be here if I had'nt been wearing one.
A little story, a customer of mine traded for a quad of some kind and took it home telling his 16 year old daughter to stay off it until he can buy her a helmet. She can't resist and while Mom and Pop are away she and a friend climb on and take off across the farm. Inexperience lead to the quad rolling on it's side somehow throwing the friend clear but pinning the daughter's head under the quad in some water. She was rescued and resusitated but has been in coma now for just over a year from the head injury. I'm introducing my 4 & 6 year old children to 4 wheelers but they always wear a helmet.
As for doubling with a passenger - I've done it serveral times but the passenger, the trail and the quad all dictate my decision to do so. It's just common sense.

Mawr

Old 08-03-2000, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

My dad raced Parnelli back in the '50's. We used to go "jeeping" in what is now Anaheim Hills where all the wealthy yuppies live now. Used to do it without seatbelts, helmets, all that stuff. What we did do was be responsible for ourselves. We knew if injured, we took care of it. I really don't like seeing people sue manufacturers for their own carelessness. Yeah, I've been hurt. Tossed out of the jeep in Pismo in early 60's. I'm 50 now and just last year went over the bars on my 250r fourtrax in Glamis, AGAIN! I never thought Honda was responsible for what I did. We all know other people have. I wear full safety gear now 100% of the time. So does everyone else in our group. We still aren't the slowest in the dunes, and we have our crashes, but none of us does it without being responsible to take care of ourselves. We don't crash and then end up on welfare (I've seen that happen also). I've been offroading for over 40 years, I'm not quitting until I can't get outa bed in the morning and kick start my ride. As much as I hate insurance companies, I deal with them so that I will never be a burden to anyone.

Old 08-03-2000, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Have I ever rode without a helmet?yes I have am I still here alive yup.Did I ever get hurt from not having a helmet?nope.Although I ride with a helmet 99.5percent of the time there have been times where I ride 4-5 foot with out a helmet becuase I had to stop and take my helmet off to clear trail debris.

I have a story about riding double though.I was riding my old badger and my little sister was on back.We where going up a hill not steep or anything just a small hill.Well my sister got scared yanked back on my chest I hit the gas and the lil badger flips right over on top of me my little sister jumps out of the way and sits there and laughs at me.I am scratched up and got some bruises but most importantly I have a heavy 4 wheeler on top of me!!!!MY sister juts styands there and laughs.IT takes me about 1 mintue to get up but once I do the badger was back on 4 wheels and I was gone!!!!!She wan't laughing having to walk home for and hour.She got grouned when I came home and told my dad.

Quick Reply: A lesson learned...quad riders please read.