Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

honda steel gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default honda steel gas tank

Hello,I am new o the forum,I need to know if any one has cleaned are knows how to cleani rust or sediment out of a 1986 model fourtrax its been sitting up for years,I am rebuilding it for a youg boy as a project.Can any one shed some lite on this subject????

Old 05-15-2004, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

Check with your local motorcycle shop. Theres a (3) part kit called" Creme" thats made to clean, neutralize and seal rusty tanks. If it's real rusty you may need to by an extra bottle of the etching... I've used this product with good results. Watch that you don't get it on the outer tank surface, concrete or anything you care about as it can discolor it and or eat it up.

Rude Dog

Old 05-15-2004, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks RudeBoy,I'll go to the local shop and see if they have it

Old 05-15-2004, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well to get rust out, pull the tank and put some fishtank gravel inside and shake it around as hard as you can.

Old 05-17-2004, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

pwillie, Welcome to the forum!

The Kreme (spelled with a K) tank lining products work very well on any metal tank (ATV's, lawnmowers, welding machines, tractors) - and the directions do say that you need to clean out as much loose rust particles as possible prior to using the Kreme. I've used pea gravel, nuts and bolts, pennies, and dog chain to break loose excess rust - the dog chain seems to work best - besides it is easiest to remove from the tank while rinsing out.

Old 05-17-2004, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

Does the "kreme" act as a cleaner or as a sealer? I have some rust pit holes in the tank,some one used some type epoxy to seal them but the epoxy has turned into jelly,are there any aealants that any one knows of that works well on a gas tank? Thanks for any help

Old 05-17-2004, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

The Kreem Tank lining kit consists of a cleaning/etching solution, a neutralizing solution, and a lining liquid. You should be able to get it for around $30.

The lining liquid seals the tank as it coats and dries inside the tank, small pin holes are not a problem. It would be a good idea to patch known holes with something like a thin layer of JB Weld on the outside prior to starting the lining process because the etching solution has to do its job and leaking out is only going to make matters worse. On the '86 you don't have to worry about outside "cosmetics" as the "beauty" plastic is going to cover the tank.

PS - depending on the condition of the tank - the cleaning/etching solution may break down some rusty spots that develop leaks as it works - so you want to make sure you perform this task like it was stated earlier - in an area that you don't mind getting this "stuff" around to mess things up.

Old 05-17-2004, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

One more thing.do any of you know of an online store are what type of store would have this product other than a bike shop? Address please?

Old 05-17-2004, 04:06 PM
Range Rover

Don't...... DO NOT use a tank liner.

They are garbage and the rust will stay in the tank. Do not use gravel to clean the rust out, it does nothing but waste time. To properly clean the tank go to a hardware store and purchase a 1L bottle of Muriatic acid.

Empty all of the gas out of the tank....... make sure you have rubber gloves on. pour 1/4 of the acid in to the tank be careful of the paint. put the gas tank lid on and shake the tank to ensure that the acid cleans off the rust. Empty the tank out and repeat the process, until the tank looks like new...and it will. rinse the tank out with water to neutrilize the acid. stuff a bunch of old rags into the tank to dry up the water take a litre of automatic transmission fluid and empty it into the tank. swish it around to coat the entire tank empty out as much as you can then fill it up with new gas. You can leave some of the trani fluid in as it will help clean out the engine. Your tank will be as good as new.........

This is the only sure way to get it clean without problems...... i know from experience, i spent the time cleaning the tank then got it lined then 3 yrs later when the bike ran like crap cleaning the tank of the broken up liner, doing it right then removing the carb and cleaning it all up to clean the gum out of it.

Hope this saves you both time an money

PS - If the tank has holes after it is all cleaned out you should be safe to take a soldering iron and patch the holes that way as long as they are not huge holes, pin holes are easy to do then just sand down the excess solder. then touch it up.