Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Why would anyone use a K&N?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would anyone use a K&N?

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing K and N filters. They are awesome in the correct application. This is straight from K and N's web site.....
A K&N Filtercharger can be washed up to 25 times before it is considered no longer serviceable. Even though the filter may not show outward signs of deterioration, it should be replaced after 25 washings. Excessive washings will deplete the tiny cotton hairs that crisscross the openings. The resulting damage will allow tiny dust particles to pass through.
The filtercharger is what they call their filter....not the pre filter. A pre filter has no cotton ingredients either....it's just foam.
Gary
Edited this post...the copy and paste screwed up..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Old 05-21-2004, 04:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
Never owned one or might have done it for them.It was a desert race I was wathcing. They were a sponsor.
So you purchased K and N's product solely based upon them sponsoring a desert race? Thats sponsorship dollars working for the company. I asume you ride the desert primarily?
Gary

Old 05-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
[quote]
Originally posted by: garyc660R
[quote]

I can't stand when people start bashing other products. Especially when personal experience has taught me otherwise. I'm surprise the Polaris folks didn't jump down the kid's throat. Never owned one or might have done it for them.
Q]

Because we are used to people running their mouths about things they have no personal experience with. We just let it go, and prove em' wrong out on the track/trail/strip where ever. If I made a response for every stupid post/non-informed comment I saw on this site I'd never stop typing! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Relax. It makes life alot more enjoyable, and you realize there are WAY to many ignorant people with WAY to little experience in what they're trying to speak about. Junior, with his little toy 300 doesn't bother me in the least.

Old 05-21-2004, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah i did a plug chop with each and it really wasnt that much of a difference

Old 05-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think the K&N secret police are going to bomb my house for this. Regardless im sick of seeing this at the top of the list. so heres the low down on this topic, I heard that K&N's were designed to blow up 300ex's. It was a big conspiracy by the owner of K&N to get rid of this bike. He hated them so he decided that the best way to rid the bike from the planet was to stratigicly design a filter that would basiclly cause the bike to blow up. Riders have suffered serious injuries including several losses of both the left and right cheek. True story, yeah...............

Old 05-21-2004, 05:51 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: garyc660R
Never owned one or might have done it for them.It was a desert race I was wathcing. They were a sponsor.
So you purchased K and N's product solely based upon them sponsoring a desert race? Thats sponsorship dollars working for the company. I asume you ride the desert primarily?
Gary

Nope. That was about 12-13 years after buying my first K&N and I primarily ride in sand. I have had good luck with K&N.

lol! I'm tired of it too PunkX. I'm through. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2004, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

I have never had a problem with knn. As long as you look after it, then it will look after you. Of course if you havn't oiled it in about 20 years then you might start to have soem problems.

If K&N in fact do suck, why are they at the top of the list when it comes to filtering technology, and why are they a multi million dollar company?

Old 05-21-2004, 11:39 PM
The Facility

True..............K&N filters are the most popular air filter for performance applications.
Don't read "the most popular" as reading " the best selling" because it is not.

The best selling filters are:.... in order......Uni, TwinAir, NoToil, K&N, and Applied

4 of the 5 are dual stage foam filters.............

As of mid year 2004, Honda has used NoToil dual stage filters as OEM equipment on all their ATVs.
KTM, the trickest dirtbikes you can buy off the showroom floor use TwinAir
The majority of your superstar SX racers use either Applied or TwinAir.
I don't know of but a handful of GNCC guys who run K&N. That goes for the GNC MX series as well.

I,m not biased towards any particular filter. I have ran TwinAir filters mostly for the past couple of years, but have ran K&N filters in the past and my experience with them was fine except for the fat that they require way more maintanence than traditional filters for little if any horsepower gains.

My personal opinion, and it's just that, is that a K&N filter's advantages are a backyard myth of being a simple add-on item that gives you the feeling of adding serious power to your quad or bike to take on your buddy who doesn't have one....and nothing more.

Old 05-22-2004, 04:36 AM
Pro Rider

I used to run a K&N on my 440ex and I'll never run another, they dont filter out any dirt and the hp gains are miniscule, I sold it with an outerwear for $50 and bought a UNI for $26, it's a great filter, it filters out all the dirt while improving airflow.

Old 05-22-2004, 11:40 PM
Range Rover

I did alittle research before purchasing a filter for my bike and ran onto this site. If you have a few minutes to read it, I think it has some good info about filters. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm