Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Why would anyone use a K&N?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would anyone use a K&N?

HAHAHA

I wish my dad did everything, he usally won't even look at any of my toys. I am not one of those people that daddy pays for there bike and they don't even know what' s going on! I have worked at a supermarket, a mould room, and now at sterling for money for my quad, truck and sled. I have aftermarket part coming out of the wood work for alll three things!!!

And as for the question what is better K&N with outwear or UNI, Definitaly a Uni man, keep it well oiled.

No wing No prayer

Old 05-21-2004, 11:08 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K&N will breathe better by design and NOT because it doesn't filter as good. The folded layers provide more surface area.

You might as well use Uni if you use outerwears though. Either way you're choking your engines potential.

Old 05-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ive used both and in my opinon i dont notice any performance difference. It would prob be a small difference if you dynoed it but i dunno. I like the K&N's better i feel they last longer. Im not sure about this but i hear using an k&n precharger which is basicly the same as an outwear has less the 3% effect on air flow. I think i read that somewheres.

Old 05-21-2004, 01:09 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Did you rejet with the different filters? Assuming you meant same machine.

Old 05-21-2004, 01:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

As a post earlier read.....you can hold a K and N filter up and see light through it. I can verify this through experience. If you do not ride in dusty conditions and want maximum air flow, then by all means use a K and N. If you ride in dusty conditions a foam filter is preferred because it simply filters better at the expense of some air flow. I have used both and both have their advantages and disadvantages. If a K and N filtered better and provided more air, aftermarket foam filter companies like UNI would be out of business by now and all woods racers would ABSOLUTELY be using them.
Gary

Old 05-21-2004, 01:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

In adding, why does K and N offer a foam pre-filter option for their filters (that requires oiling)? Case closed.
Gary

Old 05-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Range Rover

This topic is getting way too much attention....... bascically we all have voiced our opinions. the overall conclusion is

1) K&N filters are the most recommended filter for non dusty conditions
2) K&N pre filters can be used for dusty conditions along with the filter
3) most people prefer the k&N filter (other than nice300)
4) Air filters cannot directly blow up engines.........
5) Live Fast, Drive Fast......... Never give up

Old 05-21-2004, 02:02 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Originally posted by: garyc660R
In adding, why does K and N offer a foam pre-filter option for their filters (that requires oiling)? Case closed.
Gary

Case re-opened

Per K&N:
"What is a K&N PreCharger?
The K&N PreCharger is a specially designed filter wrap made to extend the service interval of your K&N Filtercharger when used in very dusty conditions...."

So you won't have to service your filter as often, not to increase it's filtering capabilities.

Old 05-21-2004, 02:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
Originally posted by: garyc660RIn adding, why does K and N offer a foam pre-filter option for their filters (that requires oiling)? Case closed.Gary
Case re-openedPer K&N:"What is a K&N PreCharger?The K&N PreCharger is a specially designed filter wrap made to extend the service interval of your K&N Filtercharger when used in very dusty conditions...."So you won't have to service your filter as often, not to increase it's filtering capabilities.
K and N also tells the consumer that crud buildup on the outside of the filter is a good thing, increasing the filters effectiveness....LOL. Do you actually think K and N is gonna say if you ride in dusty conditions get a foam filter? No, they do the next best thing and use an oiled, foam filter wrap over their filter....which alltogether defeats the purpose of the K and N filter. Case closed again...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].
Gary

Old 05-21-2004, 02:28 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Gary, quit making stuff up.