Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New Honda Rancher AT

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Honda Rancher AT

Hello everyone, I have been reading on the forum for the past week or so and just joined today.
I bought a Rancher AT last week and love it. My wife has a Sportrax 250ex. I cant talk much about the performance of the new rancher as i have not had it on the trail yet but i have been impressed with the auto trans as i have had it down in an old dried up --muddy pond.

i have a question though regarding scratches on the vehicle--it may seem funny to sum being that they are built to abuse--but i like to take care of my equipment. My story is this , i didnt have it one day and my brother in law brought over his girl friends boys and climbed all over it with muddy shoes, being in my garage one day it already looks like i have had it forever ---- i am still getting mad as i am writing this ----but is there any way to take out some of the scratches ,,, maybe a particular kind of wax,,,

it very fine scratches on it but enough of them that they are white in places around the gas tank and front fenders

Old 06-14-2004, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer

Congrats on the AT - My wife and I bought 2 new ones the weekend before last - we went riding last Saturday - 26 miles of trail riding. We had a great time. We are very happy with the ATs so far - thought we would use the automatic especially the wife but we used the electric shift almost all the time. Rode mostly in 2 wheel drive except in what I call the rock garden (small boulders) and a steep rutted muddy section.

Don't know about the scratches and I'm the same as you, I like to keep them looking new but over time this happens - If no one has a solution don't let it spoil your fun.

Old 06-14-2004, 09:29 PM
Range Rover

SwampeastMO,

I feel your pain. My 21 month old crawled up on mine with dirty shoes and it is scatched on the rear fenders. All i can say is go to Wally World, buy some Pledge & Armor All( I like the foam) or equivalant and keep her shiny. THe scratches are there, but harder to see. It makes it alot easier to take. I spend more time cleaning my quad than I do riding it.

Old 06-15-2004, 01:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Got the wife one for Christmas a yellow one of course and she won't even get it in the mud, hasn't got a scratch on it I change the oil about 3 weeks ago at 100 miles............kinda makes me mad my 2001 orange ranger looks like its 10 years old next to hers.....I ride way back...cause it makes me look bad,.............got a recall on hers today "ECM"........... \

Old 06-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, thanks for the words of encouragement, the photos were great, i cant wait for this weekend.

Old 06-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

As bad as I hate it you can just forget the scratches. The plastic is soft, probably to avoid more serious damage in close quarter riding, and therefore scratches easily. I used to paddle a kayak and the same thing happens there. Some colors seem to show the scratches more. Red seems to be the worst about showing them. My green bike is also covered with them and they don't show up so much as they dull the shine. My wife's yellow ATV dosen't show the scratches as bad (and it doesn't have as many either.)

Save yourself the aggrivation of worrying about something that you simply can't control. If you use it...really use it...and have fun on it, it will get scratched.

SSSSSSSSSSssssnake and the pledge

Old 06-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Shadetreepowersports.com has a product to remove scratches. It's called Novus Plastic Polish. I don't know if this product works.

I start out by trying to keep my quads plastic nice. When people sit on them. I ask them to watch their feet while getting on and off. After a while I don't even notice the scratches. Once you go for a ride, you'll have more scratches. Then you won't even notice the original scratches.

Old 06-17-2004, 01:47 AM
Trailblazer

Check this out for your scratches --- Montana Jack's Quad Shine Kit

It says -
Restores that Show Room Shine to any ATV!
Hides minor scratches and provides a tough, clear, acrylic finish that will actually protect your ATV.
It will brighten and enrich the colors and graphics making your ATV plastic, cargo racks, bumpers, cargo boxes and axle guards look like new.
This is a dry finish that will not collect dust or dirt, will not wipe off, and will stand up to many mild detergent washings.