Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

MY 400EX BRAKE PEDAL IS STUCK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2000, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know it is the pedal because i unhooked the hydraulic system, and took out the carter pins and all.. I tried everything to get it out... wd40 and oil don't work, i can't get it inside of the housing... the pedal is extremely hard to move causing my brakes to stay locked once engaged. anyone have any suggestions??

BTW: i even ratchet straped it to my garage wall, and it did nothing!

Old 08-12-2000, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, so you're saying that the brake pedal is very hard to move, but the rest of the rear brake system works ok? If I were you I'd remove the pedal from the chassis and thoroughly clean and grease the pivot.

Old 08-12-2000, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

hahaha, yeah exactly!! That's what i have been trying to do, but i can't remove the pedal from the chassis!!! that's where the trouble is....

Old 08-12-2000, 06:46 PM
Trailblazer

most of the time it is the rachet brake system and the rachet stops working cause it is frose.

Old 08-12-2000, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, well, I'm sure you already figured this out, but here's how the service manual says to remove the pedal:

1. Disconnect the push rod from the brake pedal by removing the cotter pin and joint pin.

2. Remove the return spring from the pedal (do you still have a return spring?).

3. Remove the cotter pin, washer, and the brake pedal.

Sounds simple, so I'm guessing you've already tried this, but the pedal doesn't want to come out of the chassis. I guess I'd try a hammer and punch to drive the pedal out (but don't get carried away, hehe). Try some penetrating oil too, not just WD-40, but maybe like JB-80, that stuff works awesome. Other than that, I dunno what to tell ya.

Old 08-14-2000, 10:23 AM
Trailblazer

Same thing happened to mine too. I had to take my pedal off with a hammer, then cleaned it up with emery cloth and put a waterproof grease on the shaft.

Old 06-22-2004, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default MY 400EX BRAKE PEDAL IS STUCK!!!

I have tried to hammer mine out numerous times, and it is just not working. I am trying to hammer from underneath. I have gotten the pedal to move back and forth with some force put on it, but coming out just does not seam to work. Do you have any suggestions, is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Nick

Old 11-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Angry

Originally Posted by c400ex1234
i know it is the pedal because i unhooked the hydraulic system, and took out the carter pins and all.. I tried everything to get it out... wd40 and oil don't work, i can't get it inside of the housing... the pedal is extremely hard to move causing my brakes to stay locked once engaged. anyone have any suggestions??

BTW: i even ratchet straped it to my garage wall, and it did nothing!
I just went through this with my wife' 2006 400EX. This is an old thread but thought I would share my experience. We ride on the Oregon coast and get a fair amount of corrosion on the bikes. WD-40 did not help. I used PB-Blaster to free up the pedal. I removed all attaching hardware from the brake pedal and shot it with PB Blaster. Let it set for an hour, tapped the pedal with a rubber mallet, then reapplied again. Once I got the pedal to move, I took a pry bar and wedged it between the pedal and the frame. I pulled on it gently, then wiggled the pedal up and down. I did this multiple times each time adding PB Blaster and letting it soak in. Once the pedal was free enough to rotate by hand, I was able to pull on it from behind and rotate it at the same time. It eventually came off. After you get the pedal off, clean it up and make sure you get all corrosion off. Also clean the receiving hole. That is where I am right now. I have a millwright at work I will consult for what lubricant to add when I reinstall it. Stay tuned...

BTW - There is another product that is amazing for freeing stuck parts. It is called Kroil. My machinist at work uses it and swears by it. I have not used it. But I can tell you PB Blaster worked in this situation.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem with my 400EX. It is a bitch to get out. PB blaster a prybar and alot of effort. I sanded the rod down real good and greased the crap out of it and put it back together. Marine grease or a good water resistant grease would be recommended.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Conclusion

Tank you for the heads up. PB Blaster worked along with a slim pry bar. Had to work at it but got it out. After discussions this with my millwright at work, we both decided the best grease would be resistant to water, dirt and have Teflon in it. It turned out I had such a product on the shelf at home. I used synthetic brake grease. Voila!