Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher experts, please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher experts, please.

Just got an '02 Rancher 4x4 foot shifter. Bought it on Ebay, an interesting experience and kind of a shot in the dark. But it is all good. Wondering what mods I want for this bone-stock quad. I need to replace exhaust(rusty), thinking air filter, tires, Warn 4-2-4 shifter, etc. Need jetting advice for elevations from 5000-11000 feet as well. Thanks in advance for your expert advice. The orange color is cool, eh?

Old 07-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

Well I bought mine used but am switching out the orange for hunter green. The link below will provide some winch mods I did. Harbor Freight has the winch on sale now for $49. Same winch as on mine, the contactor must be ordered from Ramsey. I think the 424 will be my next mod since I'm use to switching from 2w to 4w with my KQ. It does make a difference when riding.

Good Luck,
Rob

Old 07-30-2004, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

rob i just bought the identical winch for my rancher, i have bought the rolling fairlead, now i don't have to interchange my winch, so it looks like it will fit inside the bars, also the winch is simple reverse polarity, all u need are 2 relays to make up that contractor, 65 is a heck of alot of money when it can be wired for less then 5 bucks, do you have up close pics of the install because im compltimplating getting the warn mounting kit, but its close to the same price as the winch which kinda of annoys me

Old 07-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

The warn mount will not work. Use a Cycle Country mount. Then get a Cycle Country mount.

Old 07-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Harw could you please tell me why it won't work? i realize it won't just bolt up i'm willing to redrill the mounting bracket? and where can i find this Cycle Country mount, and for how much

Old 08-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

Bill,

I looked for a wiring schematic using relays. Even thought about taking the cover off my truck ramsey winch for a look. The schematic I found showed a multi poll relay that I couldn't easily locate. And 2 of them were more than $5. In the end I paid up becuase the contactor is a smaller unit and is sealed. First thought was to mount the contactor on the winch so I'd only have to buy one but decided to go with 2 anyway. Same with the fairlead.

Can't help you much on the mounting brackets. The key to mine is multi mount system and either winch will fit on either quad. Were you planning a multi mount system? You might look for the Superwinch mounts. The winches look simular.

Most of the pics are on the web sites, the KQ site has a couple more breakdowns. The front mount in the rancher is just a piece of 1.5" angle with the receiver welded on the bottom, only 2 bolts hold it to the frame. On the rear it's just a piece of 6' flat bar with the receiver welded on. What sort of pics were you looking for?

So far the cheap little winch works great. I don't use it that much but it's there.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

rob i was just looking at putting it behind the front brush guards as i usually blaze new trails with my quads and those bars help every bit, i think im going to buy the warn mounting kit, i don't know what to do i don't want to mess up my alignment or mess my frame when winchin out of mud, if you could do some real close up pics of the front setup it would be appreciated

to make the contractor all you need are some regular bosch relays, with this setup both terminals lay at ground till activated
Go Down This Page to Actuator/Reverse Polarity

Old 08-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

Hmmm, well maybe if you can work up a parts list and a wiring diagram for the switch I'll post in on my web site. The bosch relays would have to be HD to carry the 50-100 amps of the winch at a hard load. But believe me I'm all about saving money if I can.

In the mean time I'll get some pics and forward them to you. It'll be a week or so because the ATV is at the weekend place. Again it's just simply bolted to the large tube on just above the skid plate.

I think the warn kits place the winch up in the hole way up there. My brother in law has a 96 trx300 and the winch is hard to see. The fairlead is mounted on the front so the cable makes a bend before it gets clear of the quad. Not a real problem if the winch isn't going to be removed often.

Old 08-04-2004, 04:13 AM
Range Rover

Little Bill,

I have some closeups of the winch on my Rancher. I think you said you are going with a solid mount instead of a multimount, if so click on my pics. I just simply used a 1/8th sheet of metal that I had laying around and drilled the holes for the u-bolts, and for the winch. Mounted the winch to the plate, then I mounted the plate to the frame. Voila!

Edit: Also, since those pics, I have mounted the fairlead to the winch mounting plate as well, so from the front, you can barely tell there is a winch there. If you want more pics or anything, I will be going to work on it Friday to replace my winch switch.

Old 08-06-2004, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

rancher i really would appreciate pics of the fairlead as that is what i have, i was a bit worried about being in heavy heavy heavy mud and bending frame, but i guess that is as good as you can get

Quick Reply: Rancher experts, please.