Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

sand &water in engine 400ex

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2000, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K&N's flow well, they do not filter well. There are a couple of scary hints in their manual, comments such as, "Let the dirt buildup work for you; it will not hurt the performance and actually help filter the air". I don't like depending on dirt to "help filter the air"

Some folks say that K&N's work well in the sand, but not in the dust. I have found that they don't work well in the dust at all, haven't tested it in the sand though.

If water hits a K&N it passes straight through, if it hits a foam filter, you have a little better chance.

Old 08-17-2000, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

I would seriously recommend that you rethink the removing the airbox lid idea. I have been running mine that way for a while now and haven't liked the results.... There is a small power increase with proper jetting, but the likelyhood that you'll suck dirt increases substantially, especially if you encounter any mud or water, at all.

Since switching to a K&N and removed air box lid, I have noticed quite a bit of dirt entering the engine. I have even tried oiling the K&N so heavily that it choked the engine, it still let dirt in. Not impressed, switching back to foam...

One thing I am going to try is: I obtained an extra air box lid, I am going to cut the top completely out of it, get some bulk filter foam and some wire mesh. I am going to sandwich the foam between the wire mesh and epoxy it to the frame of the airbox lid, making a sealed, high flow, filtered airbox lid. This will filter some extra dust as well as keep out some of the smaller splashes...

Old 08-17-2000, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

ok I'll wait til I get my outerwears then I'll remove the airbox lid and rejet again......

Old 08-17-2000, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

Microscopic pores -is that your lame attempt at humor? Its would be hard to tell a self-serving know-it -all anything "Mr. Tone Moderator" So I want try to explain anything to you in all your infinite wisdom. And who says what you do in your spare time is any better than what the majority of folks in your demographic do- could you be anymore arrogant and self-serving. You are only in in these forums because noone in person can tolerate your boring stories or arrogance. You no nothing about my particular case but you know( in all your infinite wisdom) thats its not a warranty case. Do you always go though life making decisions without the facts. You like helping people- right mother thersa. You like hearing yourself talk and being the center of attention- homey think so. Gabe yor big claim to fame in this life is that you have a moniker in atv connection and this avenue gives you a voice that other wise would not be heard. My original post in this topic had nothing to do with you are your great insight into matters, you took it upon yourself in your self-servingness to reply. Please forive me for pointing out the flaming obivious to you. I checked out your website-your 250r looks great.

Old 08-17-2000, 11:08 PM
Range Rover

sorry about that i was really mad that day, honda makes a pretty good bike i have just had bad luck with them thats all both of the 2 honda's i have are broke one with gutted trans and one with a bad top end, but thats probly because i ride real hard i gutted the trans mission on a honda 125 and a kawasaki mojave 110 i had to spend $800.00 bucks fixen it,it was so bad when it locked up it shot the shift indicater out the side of the motor. but o well sorry about dissin your 400ex.

later

1987 kawasaki mojave 110
2 1986 trx 125's (both broke)
1990 kawasaki bayou 220

Old 08-17-2000, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Gabe: You da man. I've found you to be one of the most informative and helpful people in this forum, and I hope you don't ever consider leaving the forum simply because a select minority decides to harasses you. Thanks for sharing your experiences and insights with us (so that we don't have to learn the hard way), and keep up the good work.

P.S.: How fast were you hitting those doubles in the latest pictures added to your site? 4th gear pinned?

Old 08-17-2000, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Microscopic pores -is that your lame attempt at humor?

No, just grasping at straws since you provided us no explanation of why Honda is at fault for the sand in your engine.

So I want try to explain anything to you in all your infinite wisdom.

Read that: "I don't have another explanation"

My original post in this topic had nothing to do with you are your great insight into matters, you took it upon yourself in your self-servingness to reply

If you didn't wish to be replied to, why did you post to an open forum, why not e-mail?

You no nothing about my particular case but you know( in all your infinite wisdom) thats its not a warranty case

Apparently Honda agreed with me, I can't be too far off base. Honda has been very good to us about warranty issues, even on small issues that were obvious abuse (eg smashed wheels from jumping, blown front shock, etc).

You like helping people- right mother thersa

Do a quick search on my username, then a quick search on your own, see which has offered help (sometimes, I admit, I do voice things others don't like to hear), and which offers only insults and "sarcasm" in their postings. You have no room to talk.

You seem to assume an awful lot Tim, did you experience some sort of childhood trauma that makes you so bitter, or are these forums full of teenagers an easy target for you to vent your daily frustrations on? I know working in the computer networking industry can be stressful, I work in telecommunications and am a system admin of a small network myself...

My 250R may have been a little dirty in that picture, but it's 14 years old & I only paid $700 for it about 7 years ago. It looks a heck of a lot better than a brand new $5,500 400EX that doesn't run because someone ran a bunch of sand through the engine...

It's easy to be an A$$ over the internet isn't it. I bet you'd be a really descent guy if we had met in person.

Glad to see you liked some of my quotes well enough to use in your own post...

Old 08-18-2000, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks <blush>, I get this every so often. I guess I come across a little harsh sometimes as we all do in a text only format...

I was hitting that double in the top of 3rd believe it or not (I'm even geared down to a 14T front sprocket). It had lots of lift is one of the most fun jumps I have hit at a track. Probably did that 40 times over the weekend (wish I knew the guy with the videotape). The first time I hit it, I hit it slow in 2nd to feel it out, even hitting it slowly put me in the bottom of the trough between the jumps.

There was also a triple there that was only about 50~60 foot, I came up short when I tried it (unfortunately no picture ), didn't have enough HP, it was in a tight rhythm section where you couldn't get any run at it. Guess it's time for some engine mods, that one really bothered me all weekend.

Anyhow, I'm done with the Kaiser, he does this because he enjoys it, I have given him enough pleasure.

Old 08-18-2000, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

Honda agreeged with you? does Honda consult with you on warranty cases,my God your ego continues to grow as you post. And Honda is pretty good with their warranties issues-How do you know this? do they share all this privy information with you so you can tell them what you think? And all the people you help-Your a pretty good fellow , almost a legend in this forum. Gabe, I won half my case with Honda and will continue to fight this warranty issue -I just can't think of a reason to share any of this with you. Why would you not want a fellow atv'er to fare well in a warranty issue. Do you take pleasure in others peoples misfortune- Obiviously not, you like to help people. I don't mind you replying to my post but to pass judgement without knowing all the facts shows a certain thought processs that is not consistent with someone who wants to help people. And if you were a "Honda rep" -well you are not one no matter how much you think you deserve to be one. You really think Hondas cares about Gabe in Branson,Mo-are you delusional. I feel your thought process and assessment skills are shallow, you look at the most obivious and bam thats the answer without giving anything a second thought. I don't feel I am being an a$$ if you don't appreciate my replys then stop posting. Why do think you should decide who has something to offer in this forum and who dosen't-does it build up your self-esteem? My remarks about your 250r were sincere,I have no hostile feelings towards you,but it seems you took great pleasure in reminding me that my brand new 400ex is ruined-You really like to help people. Gabe I sincerely hope nothing like this ever happens to you are any other quad owners,I am not sure why you have taken it upon yorself to be an all knowing judge and jury when you nothing about the case.

Old 08-18-2000, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

Gabe, the physical process of "filtration" involves using the filtrant, the contaminant,etc as part of the filtration process. The filtrant in most cases will exhibit colligative properities that actually aid in filtration to a point- the old law of diminishing returns. This is how a great majority of all filtrating systems work whether it be for atv's, water purifiers, etc,looks like you have a lot to be afraid of? Hope this helped.

Quick Reply: sand &water in engine 400ex