Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

ds650 owner wants 450r info

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ds650 owner wants 450r info

i have a ds 650 that im having issues with (i LOVE the torque and overall comfort [mainly seat/suspension] )
and have tossed around the idea of a new quad (the 4 i would consider are
05 ds650 baja x (nice, but cheapest i can get one is 7k)
05 Predator (i used to and still somewhat do, HATE polaris...over 75% of polaris owners i know have had a TON of issues with them...i also dont like the fact most of them look/are cheap, such as plastic brake levers (and one lever for all 4 tires? ) but i have heard pretty good things about the new predators... )
new (probably 05 ) 450r....major downfall for me is the kickstart.... dont suppose anyone makes an electric start conversion? (lol) what is the powerband like on the 450? (i would Definately ride one before i would throw down 6k+ on a quad) the main reason i dont like the yfz is because it revs like a banshee...i basically felt like i was riding on top of a rocket (wasnt comfortable with suspension, and didnt like having to rev it out all the time, as im used to just slow putting with the ds in the woods, and the yfz is more like an all or nothing quad )

what is the suspension like on the 450r? i dont jump/mx but do some dragging/woods trails high speed field runs and some dunes. is it plush for small jumps? (yfz seems like its meant huge air as it seems so rough to me)

one thing that concerns me, is if i was jetted a bit wrong (say i wanted to go to the dunes and wasnt jetted perfectly for the elevation.... i would be afraid i would just sit there all day jumping on the kick and not get it to fire... as ive seen MANY a time with modified shees/blaster and others with kick starts)

what is the weight of the 450?

can anyone honestly tell me how it compares to say a stock ds or stock yfz (stock for stock?) having equal rider weights and riding abilities... ill admit with all my mods (pipe/filter/cdi/clutch/ported intake i was only probably 2-3 bike lengths above my friend on his stock yfz)

what is stock HP on the 450? how about with that hrc kit? (what does it cost to install that kit? i would probably have to buy an aftermarket pipe as i would need a spark arrested quad)

i know all the magazines rate the yfz the best quad overall...but seeing as how it dosnt meet what i want/need in a quad i want to hear about the 450r...

Sorry for the crapload of questions...just trying to get a feel for how it compares

Thanks guys

Old 08-16-2004, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Wish you were here in Louisiana. 04 Baja DS650 were going for $5900.00.

Old 08-16-2004, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Get the 450R It sounds like it's great at all the things you mentioned and the kickstart fires up in 1-2 kicks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2004, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

450r's are really good bikes they are a lil bit slower than the yfz, well they aint quite as snappy but really reallly close like by inches they are comfortable and kool lookin and the kickstart depending on u well my friend has one and it takes him at least 3 trys to get it but me my 1st time i get it all the time and its not even my bike but i think u would be happy with that bike

Old 08-17-2004, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

I think that the Predator is going to be a strong contender for 2005. Look out...Polaris is serious!!!!

Old 08-17-2004, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

i wish i knew someone who had an 04/05 DS, and 05 predator, and a 450r that i could take out for like an hour each... (heck, 10 minutes and i would at least get to know each of them....)

what do the 450r's cost out the door? (im sure it will vary between dealers, but thought i would get a general idea...)

ill have to go over to the polaris forum (ive NEVER been in there...and thought id keep my record clean...lol) but i have heard people enjoy thier predators thus far, and the 05's are supposed to be really sweet machines.

when i got my 03 baja new, i apid 5900 shipped which is a pretty good deal.... but the new ones even on the net would cost me like 6700ish...

did they make any big changes for the new year? (what was the first year 03 or 04 for the 450?)

Old 08-17-2004, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

here in cali they wanted the 450r out the door for 7200, but we got ours for msrp out the door. the only problem i've ever had with my 450r is that if i stand it up its a pain in the *** to clear the carb cuz u have to kick it over a bunch of times. for the price of a new main jet, i took of my airbox lid, and took out the baffling and i can actually notice a difference. its not spark arrested tho, so that could be a drawback. my buddy has a yfz, and he even says that the 450r is more comfy. the 450r's powerband is smooth, no peaks or surges.

Old 08-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Range Rover

I love my 450r. It will stall if you try to lug it without changin the front sprocket. The power is very linear, no HIT, it pulls like a tractor. I havent changed my jetting at all and I have ridden in several diff. elevations without any issues. Hardstarts have been non existent for me. Just dont give the damn thing any gas and give it a good kick. Claimed dry weight is 350lbs, doesn't feel much heavier. I believe stock HP is around 37/ 38. With a pipe cam and air filter these quads really wake up. Remember that almost all of Hondas quads have come from the factory very restricted, so head work is always a good idea. I wouldnt recommend the high compression piston unless it uses 3 rings like the stocker. Are there problems, I havent experienced any but as with everything I am sure there will be. Remember Hondas engineers are not us and dont put the absurd stress we do on these machines, if they did and were to design a quad that wouldnt break, it'd cost 20K+.I have raced a stock Yam 450 and beat him easily but I feel it's more rider ability. Against a Pred with HMF slip on I was neck and neck. All my races are in the sand so it is possible that the results could change on diff surfaces. The 450r's suspension is stiff as hell fom the factory but softens up after a bit of ridin. There are a ton of great threads on suspension tuning, on EXRIDERS and TRX450r.ORG. Alot of great info from people who own morew than just the 450r. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

the rear suspension seems incredibly soft stock, and the front seems stiff, but on the trail it actually works awesome, although the front is a bit stiff for sand riding. as for adjusting suspension try reading the thread "everything you always wanted to know about suspension set-up" i followed it from the beginning, but if u start at the first post and read thru the whole thing it will take u at least a couple of hours. there is literally everything u need to know from tons of different people with years of experience. the weight of the bike when its full of fluids (full tank of gas, brake lines, oil, etc.) is 375 pounds according to dirtwheels magazine. the yfz is 378, either way they are incredibly light.

Old 08-17-2004, 10:17 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

My good friend/riding buddy rides an 01 DS650, I ruse the 450R. We switch adn try each others stuffa ll the time. You know the Cadillac feeling of the DS, well its similar on the Honda, just smaller. I am 6'4" 230# so naturally you might think I should be a DS'r, but I like to flick my ride around, and the DS is not good for that. The Honda is. It has more power, well a better power /weight ratio at least. It feels alot faster for sure. We ride sand 99% so as Crobiker says, its possible that the resluts might be differrent in sand.
The HRC kit is $200 ish. I got mine for that, that was on January 28th, the first day it was available, so I imagine you can still get that deal. The cost to install is free. Its not that hard, kind of fun, and virtually impossible to screw up. I would be more than happy to give you a set of instructions I made.
As far as rating it against a stock DS and YFZ, well, how about comparing piped, filter, and paddled YFZ and DS:
The DS is a distant 3rd (IN MY OPINION) in handling. The YFZ and R are just different. YFZ better for hauling a$$, jumping big, ect. The R better for carving bowls, tight stuff, smoother.
The DS is a close 3rd in a drag, the R second the YFZ 3rd. The R and YFZ are alot closer than most say, get your R set up right and you can surprise all but the best set up YFZ's (this is up sand mountain).
The kicker is a breeze. If its not starting first kick, the jetting is off. I woudld bet $50 that I could go start it right now, fist kick, its been sitting for a month at least.
I would highly suggest it, but I am a R rider, my two DS buddies, say they would not trade me. Come to Utah, we will take you to the dunes, you can ride all three.
Or maybe you should wait for that Rumored TRX650R, the dealer meeting is next month, so if I were in your shoes, I would wait that out. Can you imagine a Honda DS650, weighing under 420#?