Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon tops out at 49 MPH...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rincon tops out at 49 MPH...

My 03 Rincon tops out at 49 MPH and seems like it's bogging down. It only has 225 miles on it, I've changed the oil but never had the valves adjusted. It doesn't get ridden much, do you think the valves could be causing this?

Old 09-14-2004, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

i highly doubt that the valves cause this. mypolaris goes 60 easy i think that it would prolly be something with the tranny having all those parts in it.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Polaris500HO4x4
i think that it would prolly be something with the tranny having all those parts in it.

LOL. That is genuinely funny, I've never heard anyone describe a Rincon problem that way. I have to remember that one and use it in the future, that really is priceless.

Broadhead, I think your oil pump o-rings have gone bad. This is a known problem on 03 and early 04 Rincons. The problem is that the blown o-rings are causing a loss in oil pressure; third gear is usually the most affected by this and the result is exactly as you describe, a drastic loss in top speed. The third gear clutch pack is slipping as a result of the loss of oil pressure. Bring your Rincon into your dealer and have them perform an oil pressure test as per the service manual. This will immediately tell them if the o-rings are at fault. Honda has developped stronger o-rings to withstand the high oil pressure in this system. This is no longer an issue on newer Rincons. Honda is also covering the repair (parts and labour) even if affected units are passed the warranty period. This is a very simple repair that requires removing the front crankcase cover along with a few other parts (torque converter, oil pump). Don't worry, unless you have a bad dealer, you'll be riding that Rincon in no time and shouldn't have any more tranny problems.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:22 PM
Range Rover

The fastest I have had my Rincon was 59 mph, then I had to slow down for a turn. Don't know what its top speed is though. As for it bogging down, I could not tell you but at 59 mph, the speed was still climbing. Is the quad running strong and sound just until you hit 49 mph, or is it running rough all the time or what?

Old 09-14-2004, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey man, dont feel bad, well i guess u kinda can. but what stuff do u have ont he rinc? any oversized tires other than stock..? my uncles foreman, with i believe 26" mud machines would run 48 mph maxed on a dirt road.. the tires may have been stock size, but not for sure. but it would dang sure go through anything. isnt a rinc a 650?

Old 09-14-2004, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer

It feels like it is running rough all the time. The only way I can describe it is it feels like it's choked. When I sit in neutral and floor it, it doesn't wind up very far. (I don't know if there's a rev limiter). I took it to the local shop to have the valves adjusted yesterday(I guess it won't hurt, even if that's not the problem). I have an extended warranty so I guess I'll have the oil pressure checked next. Question: Will it hurt to ride it if the o-rings are bad? There's a big ride this weekend and I don't have time to have that fixed before.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Trailblazer

Nope, no tires. It's all stock.

Trending Topics

Old 09-19-2004, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer

something is wrong with your quad. Mine shuts off at the manufacturers specs....65mph, have had it happen many, many times.

Old 09-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Trailblazer

The only way a polaris would go 60 is if it was attached directly to the rear end of my rincon. Ease up on the storytelling....hero!

Old 09-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

my rancher only goes 49 do yuo think i have the same problem? os is that really the top speed

Quick Reply: Rincon tops out at 49 MPH...