Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Broken bolt on Foreman Oil Filter Cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken bolt on Foreman Oil Filter Cover

I readily admit that I'm a idiot, so please keep the bashing to a minimum.

I was changing the oil on my '04 Foreman and trying to do everything by the book I was using my torque wrench set to the recommended 7ft-lbs. However, the wrench must not of been working correctly (or doesn't work at such a low setting) because I overtightened one of the bolts and the head snapped off. It is the top bolt; I went ahead and filled it crankcase and checked for leaks - no leaks.

There isn't enough of the bolt sticking out to remove it the easy way so now I'm torn - do I leave it since there aren't any leaks or worry about removing it? I am worried that if it is left it will sieze and down the road be must worse to fix.

Thanks for any help and advise!

Sincerely,

A Moron

Old 10-10-2004, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

Hi. I had a similar problem with my foreman ( mine was the rear diff drain plug ) I went out and bought a broken bolt extractor bit . You just line it up and it bites into the broken bolt,,then just back it out. Once I started to play with the bolt I thought I would try to back it out with needle nose pliers....and it worked...no need for my broken bolt extractor. Once the head of the bolt is snapped off there is no tension on the remaining part of the bolt so it should come out with relative ease...DO NOT ride your wheeler until you have fixed this problem. It is not worth the risk.

PINKMOON

Old 10-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

same EXCAT thing happend to me yesterday on my 250X so it wasnt leaking but when i started it it gushed out so i took it off and got the broken off bolt out with a pair of plyers and come to find out im missing an O-ring, OFF to Home Depot it is so i went there bought a bolt and box of O-rings replaced both and tighted it with regular scoket wrench not to tight , started it ran it around the block and it is as good as new

hope this helps!! GO TO THE HOME DEPOT!

Old 10-12-2004, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone for your help! I was relieved to find the bolt relatively easy to extract - I bought a Craftsman extractor, but didn't need it. Using a center punch and small hammer I tapped the bolt counterclockwise until enough of it was sticking out to grab it with pliers. Glad to have that fixed, thanks again.

Old 10-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this happen on my ex, but it stripped the threads too, had to get a heli coil and now it is stronger than before.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going threw a delma right now, my bolt that holds my oil line to the bottom of my quad is stripped (The head) Which uses a alan wrench to get it off. Its stripped out what should i do??????