Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Buying a 400EX...What goes bad? What do I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2000, 08:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to buy a 400EX. I see advertisements for them with only a few hours riding time. What do I look for so I don't end up with one that has been way too "enjoyed" with no maintenance. I've know individuals who really can polish a turd. I would like some help from you guys who know.

Thanks,

Rachel

Old 08-31-2000, 09:30 AM
Range Rover

I owned a 2000 400EX for about 8 months and truely I loved the quad. It handled like a dream and jumped like no other quad I have ridden. The only draw back I have against it is it is down on power against other sport quads such as the Banshee and DS. The only major problem I had with it was in the winter you could not get it started. The igntion was too weak to fire the engine when the temperatures got below 40. A lot of other owner's I have heard say the swingarm will crack but I never experienced any problems and I was jumping my stock quad easily over 50 feet triple jumps. I did sell the quad to buy a Banshee because my friend has one and he would destroy me on my EX so I was looking for more power and the Banshee is exactly what I was looking for. You can't go wrong with the EX.

Old 08-31-2000, 09:51 AM
Range Rover

Rachel,

I will indirectly answer your question. I am sure plenty of techies will join in and give you the specifics. Afterwards, you'll need to go to your local Sears store and stock up on a bunch of diagnostic tools.

I purchased my '00 back in April or May. I bought it for $4,900 (cash). **NOTHING HAD BEEN MODIFIED ON IT** The last time I had a quad was about 12 years prior. So, as you can imagine, I was somewhat clueless (at least that's how I felt).

I have to tell you, I really think I "Lucked Out". I drove down to NC (6 hr drive) to look at the quad. It was well worth it.

Keep in mind; I didn't have any diagnostic tools. This was the order for which I looked the machine over:

Overall appearance:
Wheels - Not a scratch on them (actually, one rear one had a nick)
Wheels - All round, no bends
Frame - Couple dings (a couple meaning two (2))
Frame - Straight (no apparent attempt to straighten from a wreck)
Plastic - No scratches
Paint on muffler - Black (no mud stains)
Handlebars - straight
Tires - Had plenty of tread left on them.

Owner's behavior with machine:
Motor warmth - Had he started it before I got there? Nope!
Appearance of owner - I know, this may be stretching it, but the guy looked pretty decent
Starting machine - Did he do anything special to get it started? Nope!
Openness to let me take it for a test ride - No problem.

Machine Performance:
Awesome...woohoo! Oops, sorry, but that was my first reaction
Went through all the gears..no problems
Opened the throttle up on it..no problems
Tried to get it to mis..ran fine
Braked hard..worked fine
Got some speed up on road..checking the roundness of wheels and made sure axle was straight. Believe me, you'd feel it if something was wrong.
Let machine idle..checking for valve knock. No problems.
Let machine idle..to be sure it idled.
Turned machine off..then turned it back on...no problem.

One last check:
Took the spark plug out..looked great
Checked the air cleaner..very clean
Checked the oil..clean oil

The purchase:
Sucked it up and gave the guy $100 less than what he was asking. I figured that paid for my gas and meals down to NC.

Prayed the entire drive home that I didn't just buy a $4,900 pile of junk...I know now that I didn't.

I have to tell you, when I took the back plastic off, there was not a spot of dirt. I don't think the bike had been ridden much at all. I believe I just finished breaking it in myself.

Since I've had it, the usual signs of wear are taking its toll:

The plastic is scratched all over. This is inevitable.

I lost the screw to the fuel ****.

Lost a screw that secured the plastic by the gas tank.

My gearshift paint is wearing off where my foot rubs it.

The black plastic between the front springs and shock is getting scratched up (I need some outerwears).

My front (stock) skid plate is very scuffed up.

My wheels are very scratched up around the outer rims.

The "400EX" decal on the tank is scuffed from a wreck.

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for. Hope this helps.

Old 08-31-2000, 02:56 PM
Trailblazer

rachel,
I have had my 400ex for about a year now and it still thrill me every time i ride it. The only problem i have with mine is a broken chain adjustment. Well i actually broke that but other than that i haven't had any problems with it. I have changed the exhaust on it. Go with White Brothers E-Series Pro Meg if you happen to change yours. It might look expensive but stock cannot match it power wise and sound wise. I have puty a K&N air filter in it and a dyno jet kit and i'm telling you this thing moves. If you have any more question about the 400 ex don't hesitate to ask.

Old 08-31-2000, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

BrianCWatkins. good help you gave there but i have to make a joke. Normal Wear and Tears=wrecks, lost screws, scratched wheels, plastic scratched ALL OVER??? Really. Then to you I must be a total wimp cuz my quad has only a few scratches. well im just making fun and kidding.

btw, rachel, if you do the check before briancwatkins bought it, you probably should be fine. Just don't treat it like him...maybe.

Old 09-04-2000, 12:18 AM
Trailblazer

rachel,
i am glad to see that women are starting ride. on the 400ex's you should also check the axle bearings. they are known to prematurely wear out.
have a friend pick up the rear end by the grab bar then you try to shake the axle around. if it moves then the bearings are bad. this doesnt mean you shouldnt buy the quad. you could just tell the owner you will buy it if he replaces the bearings.
i ride a 2000 honda 400EX with maier purple plastic, purple renthal bars, black seat cover,motion pro twist throttle, prm full body skid plate, prm swing arm skid plate, prm front bumper, sunstar sprockets-2teeth lower gearing, 20 inch turf tamers on rear, graydon proline aluminum nerf bars. go to www.angelfire.com/stars/stuff4

come ride sometime