Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Some problems with TRX450FM

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 05:00 AM
NZ
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some problems with TRX450FM

Hello everyone my very first post on these forums [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have a TRX450FM farm atv which I use on my dairy farm here in Australia. It has developed a problem where it only has reverse, neutral and 1st gear. WHen i try to move it to 2nd it is like there is nothing thwre at all. The shift lever has the usual resistance as you pull it up and the clutch works as usual but it doesnt go into 2nd gear. The bike is 3 years old now and only has 11,000km on the odo.Has anyone had this problem before?

My second problem is with the 4WD system. The bike has the switchable 4wd system. What it is doing is when i put it into 4WD mode it will go in and the light will light up. Then after a short time it will go back into 2wd and the light will flash twice followed by a pause. If I turn the bike off and then on again it will go into 4WD again and epeat the same thing. What does the 2 flash's mean? The manual that came with the bike said contact the dealer which I did but they said' we dont know we never have any problems with them ever'

The other major gripe I have with this bike is its appatite for front wheel bearings. SO far the bike is on its 2nd set and these have now got a lot of play in them. I previously owned an older model honda 4wd and it also had ther same problem. Incidentally both bikes use the same bearing. The dealer said it is from dirt getting past the seals and into the bearings but when i changed the first set they had basically collapsed. There was no signs of dirt in there at all. I am beginning to wonder about changing to another brand of bike because it really is frustrating spending $150 AUD every 3000km

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys

Old 11-17-2004, 10:13 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! Do you ever ride this bike (fast) out on the trail? I am thinking that some of your problems may be related to the fact that the bike is a farm work tractor (a lot of starting and stopping under high loads), and all the exercise it gets is just putting around slowly.

For the shifting, first thing I would check is the clutch adjustment. Owners manual has the procedure. (Your bike has a foot shifter, right? Not ES?)

Not familiar with Trax-Loc, so can't help you there.

As for bearings, do you carry huge loads on the front rack, at low speed?

Old 11-17-2004, 02:49 PM
Trailblazer

According to my service manual, your 2 blinks indicate that something is amiss with the "Front Final Clutch Speed Sensor" or the wiring related to it.

Old 12-27-2004, 06:14 PM
NZ
Weekend Warrior

Just a few updates here, I haen't done anything with the bike yet. I did shift it the other day after leaviing it parkd for 2 weeks. The thing had all gears and was working normally! I used it for maybe half an hour and then it went back to only having 1st and no gears after that.

Old 12-27-2004, 07:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider

When it shifted correctly...did it feel different, than it does, when it wont go into 2nd? does anyone other than you, drive it? Anything in the way of the shift pedal? Is it bent and getting restricted in its travel?
2 blinks could be something as easy as different diameter tires. Are they worn? low pressure? The four tires need to be the same diameter, all around. the connector to the front final clutch unit, could be dirty or have dirt/mud on the connectors. Check it for being tight and clean.

Old 12-27-2004, 10:08 PM
NZ
Weekend Warrior

When it started shifting properly it was working 100% as it is supposed to. When it wont go to 2nd it has the same resistance as you pull the lever up but theres just nothing there. You can feel the clutch let go as you pull it up which is normal

Old 12-28-2004, 01:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider

How long as the oil and filter been in there? Is it the right viscosity, and made for wet clutch ? If its been awhile, change it, and then do a clutch adjustment. It could be as simple as that. Check the install on the oil filter...it is possible to install it backwards.
If it were the shift forks, or dogs, it wouldnt suddenly work and then not.

If your tires are good and the same diameter, and the connector is good, there are more steps in the trouble shooting, this is just the start of it, gotta rule out the simple stuff first.

Old 12-28-2004, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the pedal "feels" funny, it is most likely a shift linkage problem. This apparatus is found underneath the front engine cover. There can be many potential problems with the linkage but the most common are the bolt on the shift "star" loosening, a broken shift arm on the shift shaft, or a broken spring. I don't think clutch adjustment could make the symptoms you're having. But, as hondabuster points out, an obstructed shift pedal is possible. I once worked on a bike for over an hour trying to figure out why it wasn't shifting up properly, turned out the shift pedal was bent and rubbing on the engine cover.