Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX Glowing Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400EX Glowing Exhaust Question

Recently, I washed my 2003 400EX and decided to start the machine to dry off the engine. While holding the throttle about 1/3 of the way open for about two minutes, I noticed that my pipe coming out of the head was begining to glow more and more red. After letting the engine return to idle, the red glow immediately began to go away. Keep in mind, it was almost dark outside when I was warming up the engine. I became concerned that my carb may be running extremely lean, and went to talk to the local Honda dealer in hopes of preventing any further engine damage since the ATV has less than 40 hrs since it was bought. The dealer told me that this glowing was normal when the pipe is viewed in the dark or dim conditions since the pipe is only one layer thick, as opposed to two layer pipes in the past. He went on to say that if you took any stock 400EX down the road at night it would look like a light show because of the glowing pipe. Can anyone with a stock pipe tell me if your pipe glows in the dark or can someone start their 400ex in the dark to see if your pipe also glows? I have never seen the pipe glow in the day, only when its dark, or in a dimmly lit area. Thanks for your input.

Old 11-28-2004, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

I am by no means an expert but my guess is that your engine was getting pretty hot. It is an air cooled engine and you were giving it throttle for 2 minutes without moving. No air flowing over engine equals higher operating temp. I bet your carb jetting is fine. BTW, buy a wash plug to prevent water entering the exhaust. Helps a lot when washing!

Old 11-29-2004, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: prudog
He went on to say that if you took any stock 400EX down the road at night it would look like a light show because of the glowing pipe.

BS

i know that's BS

sure, sitting for a few minutes with throttle open is one thing, but going down the road glowing? NO, i've done enough night riding to know that that isn't normal. i've rejetted mine for the mods i've done, but have also ridden with stock bikes that do not glow.

have you done anything to your honda?

Old 11-29-2004, 09:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

No mods, its 100% stock, nor have I ever made any changes to the carb screws.

Old 11-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

try doing a plug chop just to be safe. maybe yours came lean like that... our didn't.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:22 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to call BS to, I can see why it was glowing after holding the throttle for minutes straight, ( witch is not a good idea) but it should not be doing it going down the road. If it is she is running to lean and that can cause engine damage.

Do what nosliw said and do a plug check after you ride it how you normaly would.

Old 11-29-2004, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I checked the plug a while back, and it was normal. The plug had no idications of an overheated white burned up plug (indicating that it is running too lean). I checked the plug against some pictures in repair manual, and it was in the normal range. I guess that is why I am tyring to figure out if anyone with a factory pipe has noticed this same glow while ideling their ATV with about 1/4 - 1/3 constant throttle? I have not checked it while riding down the road to see if starts to glow, because I don't really want to do any unncessary engine damage if its running to lean. But, I guess I am going to have to ride it to find out.

Old 11-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell us what happens after you take it down the road. It sounds like it just got hot from holding in the throttle while just sitting there.

Old 11-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Range Rover

Mine did the same thing when I let it sit for a minute runnign with the throttel 1/2 open cause it was too lean and the pipe turned red. It should not glow red when riding at night. The dude is blowing smoke up your a$$. You need to turn your screw out about 1/2 turn, or until as soon as you fire it up it will sit there and pur nicely on it's own without touchign the throttle. They are air cooled though adnd you don't want to sit there and throttle them while they are sitting as they will get hot man. Good luck.

Steal horse, ride it till it dies, eat it and steal another.

Old 11-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your dealer is correct. You should maybe check the spark plug though to be sure the engine is not too lean.

Quick Reply: 400EX Glowing Exhaust Question