Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Surface Rust from winter riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surface Rust from winter riding

Covering a wheeler in oil seems crazy to me. Sounds like a big mess. Doesn't dirt just stick to it?

Old 01-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clean the quad after it soaks on the rust for a while. I don't mean dump a bucket of oil all the time. If you want to get rid of some rust or at least stop it, it works very well. The original parts on my 01' 400ex still looks very clean and I used to ride in a lot of mud and creeks and snow. You just got to stay on top of it before it becomes a problem.

Old 01-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Range Rover

You won't have to worry about the rust as long as you can rub it and it is not starting to feel rough to the touch. If it starts to feel rough and looks pitted than you will soon start having problems. I am a metal/steel salesman and I have worked with metal for many years. Once it starts to get pitted and rough, it will never be smooth again without sanding/grinding.

The rust you are describing is more than likely just an eye sore and poses no problems.

Like most have said in this thread, stay on top of it and don't let it get bad. Keep it protected with whatever you choose.

Good luck!

Old 01-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Cirviver
You won't have to worry about the rust as long as you can rub it and it is not starting to feel rough to the touch. If it starts to feel rough and looks pitted than you will soon start having problems. I am a metal/steel salesman and I have worked with metal for many years. Once it starts to get pitted and rough, it will never be smooth again without sanding/grinding.

The rust you are describing is more than likely just an eye sore and poses no problems.

Like most have said in this thread, stay on top of it and don't let it get bad. Keep it protected with whatever you choose.

Good luck!

But doesnt most all serious rust start as surface rust?

I would rather just keep it controlled than have to be dealing with the extra bs trying to remove any heavy rust later on.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Range Rover

That is right and that is why I said to stay on top of it and keep it lubricated. He asked if the rust that he has now is going to be a problem and it won't as long as he removes it and keeps the parts lubricated. Of course all damaging rust starts out as surface rust but if you remove surface rust and protect the metal, it won't become a problem. I was simply trying to explain that if you catch it early you can prevent any serious damage.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

i use to do early morning riding in the summer ( wet grass) and my aarms use to get nic n wet and wle lthe whole underneath use to get really wet and rust but i never got that it.. it just wore off.... uuhh what is a good solution to use to clean it off?? im gonna pressure wash my quad tomorrow

Old 01-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Range Rover

I pressure wash mine evertime I ride. Basically, if I see areas of metal on the quad that has been scratched or the paint is missing, I touch it up and make sure that there is paint on any large areas where the paint has come off. You will never be able to keep every single metal part painted. There will always be scratches and small nicks in the paint that you will miss and when they get wet and they will show light rust. If you ride often than the debris from your tires will take a lot of the rust off like you mentioned. If you clean your quad after riding and the next day you notice some rust just take some steel wool and rub it off. If it is a large enough area than get some paint and touch it up. Rust typically wont be a problem unless water sits on the metal for long periods of time. It is a good idea to ride the quad down the road after you clean it to move any water that has gathered in a given spot. If you can keep water from gathering in puddles on unprotected metal than you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 01-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Cirviver
That is right and that is why I said to stay on top of it and keep it lubricated. He asked if the rust that he has now is going to be a problem and it won't as long as he removes it and keeps the parts lubricated. Of course all damaging rust starts out as surface rust but if you remove surface rust and protect the metal, it won't become a problem. I was simply trying to explain that if you catch it early you can prevent any serious damage.

Sorry if my post came across as an argument to yours as it wasnt (damn typing just doesnt send the same message as talking etc) and I was really only trying to add to it etc.

I guess since I have made repairs to rusted out cars before I just am not fond of what the stuff does to steel and all the bs needed to repair it right. Around here with being very close to the atlantic ocean the salt in the air accelerates the rusting process a whole lot, and its something many are concerned with stopping from starting or spreading.

The tens of thousands of tons of salt sprayed all over our roads every winter doesnt help either, and with riding during snow storms being one of the popular things rust seems to find every possible nook and cranny on an ATV. Many vehicles are at least prepped for rust prevention, but our atv's are not and you see how well what the auto mfg's do doesnt work long etc so I am just that much more concerned with rust.

Old 01-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Range Rover

No problem. I am sorry if I snapped back.

You are absolutely right about salt. It will speed up the rust process so fast that by the time you see it, it may already be too late. If you live in any area that is well populated and it snows, (which everyone loves too ride in snow) you are going to have to deal with salt on the roads. Cleaning almost becomes a must!